1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Cobra XL-450 Amplifier

Discussion in 'CB Radio Gear SwapShop' started by FredTx63, Feb 8, 2021.

1. FredTx63

FredTx63 Well-Known Member

For sale: Cobra XL-450 Amplifier in pretty excellent condition.

The only real flaw is fixable. For whatever reason, the previous owner decided the engraved labels for the two SO-239 connectors weren't good enough and had to write their labels with a sharpie on the back of the amplifier. This would probably clean of pretty easily. Other than that, it's in excellent condition and does what it's supposed to.

I've included a picture of the inside, looks all original to me. Too bad the ground strap common to the 4 transistor models of these amplifiers cover the markings on the transistors - look like Toshiba markings to me? Could be 2290s.

Either way, these are desirable for their effective AB biasing & filtering circuits making them ideal for producing clean output on SSB.

$300 shipped CONUS prefer PayPal for payment. PM me if you want it.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    amp9.jpg

S&W357 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. Sommerkamp

Sommerkamp Active Member

Hi, i am interested in it do you have a phone number so i can call you.Thanks

3. FredTx63

Sent you a PM.

4. NZ8N

NZ8N Well-Known Member

M.E.K. will take all or most of the Sharpie markings off. Sometimes Acetone will, too.

FredTx63 likes this.
  5. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Interested as well Fred if Sommerkamp doesn't take it.

FredTx63 likes this.
  6. Cabover Bob

Cabover Bob Tap tap tap......pay attention

Brake clean takes sharpie off......

NZ8N and FredTx63 like this.
  7. techradioman

techradioman Active Member

That one resistor located on the power selector switch is either open(bad) or had severe heating.

8. Robb

Robb Yup

The square blue trimmer pots near the front looks like adjustments for biasing. Not familiar with that amp. But if OEM or not, still a good thing just the same . . .

9. Sommerkamp

Sommerkamp Active Member

Hi, i try call you but your mail is full do you have another phone number i can call you.

10. FredTx63

Sommerkamp, never saw a missed call? I'm taking the amp to my tech this weekend to have him check out the discolored resistor pointed out above. Once that is replaced (if necessary) and given a 100% clean bill of health I'll PM you - shouldn't take but the weekend.

11. ButtFuzz

ButtFuzz Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor

That baked resistor is a casualty of over-drive...
    Why do they put those silly power level switches in there, anyway?
    I am no expert, but the first thing I do when I am re-furb'ing an inexpensive leenyer is pull that prone-to fail / prone to cook mess out of there and bypass it with an adequate wire.

AND STOP OVER-DRIVING THE AMP.

Drop the input wattage down lower and let the amp amplify, rather than increasing the input wattage and dropping the input / output with a resistor.

undertaker likes this.
  12. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

The Amp is not made for "10 ohm smoke" it uses 18 ohm - so the Transistor it's paired with, pushes the Base a little higher up from Class C.

This amp was designed to run low, not as a poor performer, but done up for long-term survival in conditions that may be less than ideal.

It can explain the reason for the discoloration of the power resistor - chatty people, SSB for Skip - having to repeat the directions to the Doughnut shop - repeatedly - for those needing a sugar rush washed down with caffeine - wear and tear - but @ButtFuzz mentioning the requirement and the proper means to drive it - certainly applies to and for anyone.

(y):)(y)

Sure, it may not be stellar power performer - the design puts this into a category by itself - sure - it's gonna' have a little more heat, a little less power, but it has a cleaner output - doesn't make it better dollar per watt wise, it makes it cleaner and better in the Cost of that Watt in the usability and lifetime use in-between Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).

If it works, don't fix it.

undertaker and ButtFuzz like this.
  13. Sommerkamp

Sommerkamp Active Member

Hi, did you get the amp check out you said you would you send me a message

14. Sommerkamp

Sommerkamp Active Member

Hi, do you still have the Cobra Amp let me know.Thanks

15. Sommerkamp

Sommerkamp Active Member

Hi, let me know if you change your mind if you want to sell it.Thanks