• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra

chassis221

Feb 7, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Hi guys! Love this site ! This is my second new post, and since my last post Ive picked

up another cobra 148 gtl malaysia 1992 for 70 bucks and a Galaxy dx 77 hml for 100.00

with extras and a freq counter and a connex amp. I know about this radio but have

never used 10 meter before...I just listen because I dont know really what to do with

it, but when I found one I figured I better get it now. he said it was peaked but when i

try to use it on AM i dont seem to get any response. It does work because I went about

1 mile down the road and had a quick makeshift k40 hanging out the home window and i

am able to talk to base. But when I am normally using 19 I seem to get no response as I

do with my 148.

I know the radio is putting out i checked it with a watt meter so Im not sure why it

seems to have weak transmit. This radio also seems to have weak receive compared to

my 148. the other question I have is does a standard k40 trunk lip antenna work well with this radio for 11 meter.

Attachments

• galaxy dx 77 hml.jpg
    galaxy dx 77 hml.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 93

sorry, Im not used to this site I wanted to edit and add a few things and a thank you guys for all the info here. Im used to seeing an edit tab at the bottom of my thread so i can edit my post, not sure how to do that yet. Thnaks for any and all feedback on this galaxy radio. I love my 2 148s I have but I also like this Galaxy but just dont seem to get out. not sure if im being ignored or if maybe Im blasting people? which I doubt. I run an extreme 2018 xtr mic with the 148 so I used it on my 77. does it matter what mic I use? I do have an astatic road devil the red one too.
PS now I see the edit tab.

Hi chassis221....You left out several variables about the DX77hml.First off,check the antenna and make sure it is tuned for lowest SWR.Make sure you use the best meter you have available to check it with.What kind of wattage did you see on the 77?And what type of watt meter were you checking it with?Also,make sure you have the 77 connected straight to the battery with at least 10ga wire if you dont run an amplifier.Possibly the radio may need a good tuning for maximum performance.If the radio is tuned properly,you should be good to go with just the galaxy hand mic.However,a d-104m6b should make it sound good as well....

DX 77hml,

Thanks for your input on my issue with the galaxy77. I took the radio for a free bench test...he said its working great. He said dead key is 2 watts and swings to 33 on high power on AM, not sure about SSB. He didnt actually talk to anybody on the cb which I was hoping he would do just to verify it was working. so if the radio is showing its putting out that wattage could there still a problem with transmit even though he said its working great? I asked him if maybe it needed alignment and he said no its great!

My SWR on ch19 is 1.4. and I also changed my power and ground wires to 10 gauge wire direct to the battery. and grounded the radio case to a chassis ground. When I asked for a radio check from some guys I know are always on the radio with base stations about 15 miles away...I can barely hear him saying "i hear you radio check". it was during the day and very noisey today but i guess Im putting out further than i can recieve...which always the case anyway right? should I always leave the radio on high power? does it make any differnce when talking locally...should i back down the power? I love this radio but just still seems to get no response when I am using it. Should I take it to another shop for a second opinion? let him know my concerns and actually talk on it to people who know what the base station normally sounds like compared to my galaxy hooked up for testing.

Thanks for reading and for all the knowledge this site has to offer.
Jim

chassis,several thing's you did not mention.One being did the shop check the radio for being on frequency?Does your repair guy have all of the neccessary equipment to properly check the radio such as,Frequency Counter,RF Signal Generator,Ocilloscope?It does sound like the radio is low on recieve so if they guy doesnt have those pieces of test equipment take it to someone who does!!Be specific with the shop guy about your recieve.And make sure he does make a contact with it at a decent distance from him for an on air check!The radio can show wattage output but be off frequency.It shouldnt hurt anything to keep the radio on high power as long as your dead key isnt too high.If you ever hook an amp up to it then run it in low power.And no,it wont make a great big difference between low or high power talking locally.

Ive recently found that my 77 works great as far as I can tell. i talked with a trucker for 45 miles on lwr 37 mobile to mobile! No amps or anything special. he also had a galaxy radio in his truck.
I was told that my radio should be able to swing more than 33 watts AM. not sure if this is true. the trucker told me that he swings about 100 watts. He thought I had to be pushing more than 33 for the distance we talked.One other thing I noticed was that when I key extreme 2018xlr near the freq counter the counter moves off freq, is this normal.It also does this with my astatic road devil. if I move the mic away from the radio there is no issue.
I really like this radio.
I have found a quite a few differnrnt galaxys for sale online, sems that people want to get rid of them for some reason.
Im very hapy with this radio but if I can get more out of it that would be great.

You WONT get 100watts from the dx77hml without adding a stinger board or some sorts of RF Modification to it.The radio itself properly tuned you should see maybe 40 to 45 watts max pep.I wouldnt worry too much about the microphones you're running.If you talked that kind of distance on it then it's working just fine.Key it up and enjoy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.