• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coily dx uk antenna

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
let me start by saying theres nothing wrong with the 15"dx coily, it does not look like its going to fall appart it looks strong and the fit and finish is good with decent welds not perfect but certainly not the pigeonshit welding i half expected from what others have said, is it as well finished as my 10k? i would honnestly have to say no its not the 10k is almost a work of art with many parts comming together almost perfectly but if the coily's top weld was turned down then it would look cosmetically very close, its also heavier than the 10k but at only 15" of thinner cross section solid shaft thats not a problem to me, on the plus side the coily feels extremely strong and has a stainless 3/8 hex bolt that i prefere as its stronger than brass and harder wearing, both bolts look easy to change and some will say the brass wont wear the mount as quickly if you remove the antenna more than once a day as i do, we will see!, i would prefer the coily to have had a larger diameter nut at the base like the 10k to move the pivot point away from the bolt and put less strain on the threads, both antennas would benefit from a thicker tapered stinger but this is only my subjective opinion which is what mr coily asked for a honnest opinion i in no way imply that everybody will agree with me,,,,,, now to the important stuff, how does it work on my car roof????, when i first put it on with the stinger fully home the best vswr point was 26.400, i cut the stinger about 2" in total to get the vswr flat on 27.600 as measured with my kenwood sw200A meter, the needle hardly moves at all with the callibrate wound full up just like the 10k, overall length ended up at 82" same as the 10k with 22" shaft ( coincidence? ) off i went to the fields to do a quick comparison against the 10k with a handfull of my regulars who are up to 20 miles away and all bar one use hf radios, the test was blind i never told them what antenna i was using, i tested barefoot and with a 580watt deadkey, each person gave me a report and i looked at theirs and wrote it down, after swapping back and forth i nor the others could tell any difference between the two, one person initially indicated a very slight edge with the 10k then changed his mind and agreed no difference, while i am driving along i notice the signals wavering more on the coily than the 10k does, my buddy also reported this to me on my transmit within two miles of driving back home, this is the 10k's forte over every other antenna i ever tested, the 27" 10k is even better in this respect and which imho is because the 10k has a longer shaft with shorter stiffer stinger than the coily i am comparing it to but i did want a ride around antenna that would flex under trees more when i am foxhunting which makes a shorter shaft compulsory, the coily does do this well ( so would a 15" shaft 10k ) no antenna is everything to everybody and i love my 10k its my general purpose do everything well every day user antenna i would never sell it but if i am going to be driving under the trees i will be using the coily its a great antenna for a 15" shaft and i say let it have some hammer it looks like it can take it, i will be testing over longer distance out to 50/80 miles and report back later............ i must say thanks to dan ( aka mr coily ) for having the balls to send me a 15" coily to compare to my 22" p10k, i dont know how he expected things going but he definately knew what i thought of the 10k antennas and he knew i was gonna tell it how it is on my car good or bad, is he just lucky things went ok for his dx antenna within the limitations i set to do what i was needing with as little loss compared to the 10k as possible, or does he know his stuff when it comes to making antennas that work? you decide.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

bob85 said:
let me start by saying theres nothing wrong with the 15"dx coily, it does not look like its going to fall appart it looks strong and the fit and finish is good with decent welds not perfect but certainly not the pigeonshit welding i half expected from what others have said, is it as well finished as my 10k? i would honnestly have to say no its not the 10k is almost a work of art with many parts comming together almost perfectly but if the coily's top weld was turned down then it would look cosmetically very close, its also heavier than the 10k but at only 15" of thinner cross section solid shaft thats not a problem to me, on the plus side the coily feels extremely strong and has a stainless 3/8 hex bolt that i prefere as its stronger than brass and harder wearing, both bolts look easy to change and some will say the brass wont wear the mount as quickly if you remove the antenna more than once a day as i do, we will see!, i would prefer the coily to have had a larger diameter nut at the base like the 10k to move the pivot point away from the bolt and put less strain on the threads, both antennas would benefit from a thicker tapered stinger but this is only my subjective opinion which is what mr coily asked for a honnest opinion i in no way imply that everybody will agree with me,,,,,, now to the important stuff, how does it work on my car roof????, when i first put it on with the stinger fully home the best vswr point was 26.400, i cut the stinger about 2" in total to get the vswr flat on 27.600 as measured with my kenwood sw200A meter, the needle hardly moves at all with the callibrate wound full up just like the 10k, overall length ended up at 82" same as the 10k with 22" shaft ( coincidence? ) off i went to the fields to do a quick comparison against the 10k with a handfull of my regulars who are up to 20 miles away and all bar one use hf radios, the test was blind i never told them what antenna i was using, i tested barefoot and with a 580watt deadkey, each person gave me a report and i looked at theirs and wrote it down, after swapping back and forth i nor the others could tell any difference between the two, one person initially indicated a very slight edge with the 10k then changed his mind and agreed no difference, while i am driving along i notice the signals wavering more on the coily than the 10k does, my buddy also reported this to me on my transmit within two miles of driving back home, this is the 10k's forte over every other antenna i ever tested, the 27" 10k is even better in this respect and which imho is because the 10k has a longer shaft with shorter stiffer stinger than the coily i am comparing it to but i did want a ride around antenna that would flex under trees more when i am foxhunting which makes a shorter shaft compulsory, the coily does do this well ( so would a 15" shaft 10k ) no antenna is everything to everybody and i love my 10k its my general purpose do everything well every day user antenna i would never sell it but if i am going to be driving under the trees i will be using the coily its a great antenna for a 15" shaft and i say let it have some hammer it looks like it can take it, i will be testing over longer distance out to 50/80 miles and report back later............ i must say thanks to dan ( aka mr coily ) for having the balls to send me a 15" coily to compare to my 22" p10k, i dont know how he expected things going but he definately knew what i thought of the 10k antennas and he knew i was gonna tell it how it is on my car good or bad, is he just lucky things went ok for his dx antenna within the limitations i set to do what i was needing with as little loss compared to the 10k as possible, or does he know his stuff when it comes to making antennas that work? you decide.
I all i can say is thanks for giving me a chance to show you what a coily is, and how well they are built and perform.Trust me it's not dumb luck that they work as well as i say, i know exactly what makes a mobile antenna tick,It's 9 going on ten years of plain old antenna building,designing and installing and literaly more hours than i can ever ponder.Thats what makes a coily a coily!I Would also like to say if you had the longer shaft it would have even done better and i am going to go a head and check into upgrading all my stinger on all my new antennas to take care of any wavering from the whip moving to much also i am going to go with What is called a heavy nut It is a wider version and thicker.And the welds to tell you the truth take some effort so i hate to mill them off and structually milling would take away from the overall strength of the top shaft.I would also like to add the stainless nut could be taken off it is thread locked but will come off with some effort.I apoligize about my spelling been working 16+hours a day for about 2 weeks on my Enforcer Base and i had to make myself turn the computer on today,Dog tired.Thanks Bob Enjoy Your UK Coily,when it comes to my antennas,i know just how well they work even with a shorter Shaft!73sss DanWWW.MRCOILY.COM

Just checking in :Wavey wanted to see how your Coily was holding up,73sss Have a good weekend.....Dan.

bob85 said:

Hi Bob,Had a few extra minutes so wanted to Check in and say hello and have a good weekend,Hope everythings going well ..Dan
www.mrcoily.com

hello dan been using the 15"dx you sent me for the last few days, i am still happy with how it works and it flexes under the trees just like i want it to.

bob85 said:
hello dan been using the 15"dx you sent me for the last few days, i am still happy with how it works and it flexes under the trees just like i want it to.

73sss Bob.....Glad it doing the trick!If you ever need a thing just let me know....Coily

Retroactive-X- said:
bob85 said:

What is flexin' ? the shaft or the stinger?

I like it when I'm flexin either one :p

mrcoily said:
bob85 said:

Hi Bob,Had a few extra minutes so wanted to Check in and say hello and have a good weekend,Hope everythings going well ..Dan

Do you ALWAYS have to quote the entire message? It looks silly, don't you think?

Master Chief said:
mrcoily said:
bob85 said:

Do you ALWAYS have to quote the entire message? It looks silly, don't you think?

You did it also?...Smile it's not that bad.. 8)

illterate? and what do you come across as? your spelling and waste of bandwidth could use some work too....why don't you clean up your own house before you begin complaining about someone elses? or were you pointing the finger at yourself as well? STHU. you'll appear as less of a hypocrite.

Master Chief said:
mrcoily said:
You did it also?...Smile it's not that bad.. 8)

I was making a point, but you already knew that. Too bad really, you could have been one of the greats. But instead, you come across as an illterate ass.

No you were not making a point you were crying a symphony.I spell a word or 2 wrong? Damn you better call the devil dogs on me "spelling errors" you have to be fricken kidding me!Who the hell do you think you are somebody special??We all stink up the bathroom the same, i guess you just stink it up with correct spelling and puncuation!I am one of the up and coming greats! I don't have to spell or punctuate perfectly and have a PHD to build the best..I am only 35 years old i will be here longer than your old ass..so kiss off you a Jerk!!! At least i try and do something for the cb and ham guys besides crying a fricken river..You think i have to build this stuff? No i don't! I like too and everything is looking real good....Have a good Day...Coily :moon :Wavey Sorry "forum" ........Dan

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.