• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coily ,I10k ,wolf

33 the kid

Mar 12, 2006
has anyone tested the coily enforcer base antenna against the interceptor 10k, and the wolf 64. Just wondering which really is the best. I have a wolf 64 it works great but i would buy something else if i knew it was better.

is this the antenna youre asking about about ?

http://www.wolfradio.com/p64.htm

if it is its not a fair comparison , that is a base antenna 22 feet tall not a mobile like the others . ive never had a coily so i dont know about them but the 10-k does good for me . im sure youll get replys from people with more antenna experience .

if the antenna in that link isnt what youre talking about can you provide a link to it ?

goodluck

p. s. welcome to the forums

33 the kid said:
has anyone tested the coily enforcer base antenna against the interceptor 10k, and the wolf 64. Just wondering which really is the best. I have a wolf 64 it works great but i would buy something else if i knew it was better.

First off BOOTY MONSTER just a little misunderstanding interceptor=base predator=mobile as for 10k and enforcer comes in mobile or .64 base, From what I see there would be little difference since all are the same as for antenna mass (length) just different physical matching system same theory though the ad for the enforcer dose show a picture of an antenna analyzer showing 50ohm resistive impedance but I'm sure the others are too. So in my opinion I know there like *** ***** everyone has one :LOL: i would say if there is a difference it would not be noticeable as long as your swr is as low as you can get it stick with what you have and use the money to push it up higher another pole or tower section and guy wire. In my searching and it was a lot I would buy a Wolf if I could afford one but I'm stuck with 8ga wire for now. :cry:

Even if you saw any gains from one to the next, it'd be so close it'd be a waste of dough.

You'd be better off raising the antenna you have up higher, getting more power, or buying a yagi for the $300+ to make the swap.

Peace,
Josh

distortion said:
Even if you saw any gains from one to the next, it'd be so close it'd be a waste of dough.

You'd be better off raising the antenna you have up higher, getting more power, or buying a yagi for the $300+ to make the swap.

Peace,
Josh
O yes a set of beams and a wolf now your talking get a set with horizontal & vertical elements wire them in circular polarization when you hear some one way off in the background on the wolf turn the beams on and bounce off the moon and talk to people on the other side of the planet the good old days will that work on HF well anyway you'll have a great DX station.

As the Highlander would say, "There can be only ONE!"

That "ONE" is the I-10K for so many reasons. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of owners can't all be wrong.

The trombone matching network on the I-10K is superior to the coil on the coily. You can't even get a wolf Point 64 anymore.

Even if you could get all three antennas, the I-10K would still be king, even at TWICE the price of everyone else!

Seminoles, do you even own one of the antennas being asked about?

Master Chief said:

That "ONE" is the I-10K for so many reasons. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of owners can't all be wrong.

The trombone matching network on the I-10K is superior to the coil on the coily. You can't even get a wolf Point 64 anymore.

Even if you could get all three antennas, the I-10K would still be king, even at TWICE the price of everyone else!

Yes sir a 10k best I have owned but broke during hurricanes one after another moved down to the ground post still broke. Most of it might be in the bay somewhere I was thinking of the 25k for the heavy duty insulator but it will have to wait other repairs come first. Since he already had a wolf just don't think he will see any noticeable gain worth switching unless he can get almost all of his investment back in trade or sale.

Seminoles said:
Yes sir a 10k best I have owned but broke during hurricanes one after another moved down to the ground post still broke. Most of it might be in the bay somewhere
Glad to hear you've owned a couple. I don't understand the "moved down to the ground post still broke" part.

Seminoles said:
I was thinking of the 25k for the heavy duty insulator but it will have to wait other repairs come first.
The ONLY difference between the I-10K and the I-25K is the connector. The insulator does not add any mechanical advantage to the antenna at all.

Master Chief said:
Seminoles said:
Yes sir a 10k best I have owned but broke during hurricanes one after another moved down to the ground post still broke. Most of it might be in the bay somewhere
Glad to hear you've owned a couple. I don't understand the "moved down to the ground post still broke" part.

Had it on 40ft of pole when hurricanes where coming I moved it to the 10ft pole that is buried 9ft in the ground so it was setting 1ft off the ground thought it might be safer there below the trees my bad next time I'll take it apart put it in the garage. Knowing my luck a tree will fall on the garage... ;)

Seminoles said:
I was thinking of the 25k for the heavy duty insulator but it will have to wait other repairs come first.
The ONLY difference between the I-10K and the I-25K is the connector. The insulator does not add any mechanical advantage to the antenna at all.

Ok I'll go back to a 10k then just thought that might help that is where the top came apart the radials were twested up so just scraped what was left could have been a small twester they were poping up in places.

To start with distortion got it right

Peace,
Josh

Also Master Chief got it right

But Master Chief

that is a wrong statement
the Interceptor I-10K can be ordered with different connector
such as i ordered it with N connector for my andrews heliax LDF5-50A coax feedline

the difference between Jay's I10K and I25K is
I10K is only rated for 10,000 watts
I25K is rated for 25,000 watts (and usally uses N connector)
but both I10k & I25K can be ordered with desired connector(s)

now...as to which antenna is better
no doubt it is the Interceptor I10K
(or if you are crazy enough to use 25,000 watts then I25K)

i can tell you when i talk on my I10K most in DX land do not believe i am not on a beam and instead on a 5/8 wave ground plane

even without skip...i can talk from east coast to west coast on a quiet channel..
talking I10K to I10K easily at distance is like talking on phone (well almost...lol)

However i have also heard and spoken to people using Wolf's .64
and i know it sounds great indeed and being it is a .64 wave it is in principal (however i highly doubt one in real world would notice a difference from .64 wave and 5/8 wave)is supposed to work better then 5/8 wave (however it is right on the fringe of having secondary lobs making dx worse...so it must be spot on to do its thing)

i was rather pleased in hearing the performance of the .64 wave
to me it sounded as good as the Interceptor (jay's) I10K

i do not see any majic to the coily and at best could only be as good as either the .64 or I10K

would be better to keep your .64 and raise it higher
or as sugested by another add a beam under it for best of both worlds in DX land

i might suggest another option
in keeping you .64 why not go from your currant coax to better coax (such as hardline...on HF i use Andrews Heliax LDF5-50A)
it is far superior to RG213 or LMR400 most use

and believe me it makes quite a difference
i admitt it can be quite hard to work with
it does not bend much or easily
i would even go to N connector at antenna
(taking a slight advantage that N connectors have over UHF especilly in rain)

Anyways
Enjoy !!!

this is what a broadcast engineer friend of mine had to say about the I-10k compared to the maco v5/8 wave antenna.
this is why, of the three antennas you asked about, i would choose the mr. coily:

"You should know, the Maco V-5/8 seems to have very slightly better performance than the I-10K antenna. The 'trombone tuning' network on the I-10K tends to send some signal straight down and distorts the field pattern slightly as well. The Maco V-5/8 tuning ring is not perfect, but it distorts the field pattern much less than the I-10K trombone tuning does. That translates to more signal on the horizon from the Maco. The Super Penetrator sealed coil matching network is slightly more lossy than the Maco or the I-10K, but it distorts the pattern much less. That loss is negligible, but it does limit the power handling capability to under 1 KW.

My complete review of the I-10K was never published at the request of the antenna maker who was kind enough to send the example for testing. If you plan to run power levels over 5 KW, or expose the antenna to 100 MPH+ winds, then the I-10K is a great choice. If you don't, the Maco V-5/8 will work better and is far less expensive.

Still, to this day, I would push the Imax 2000 for its ease of installation, stealthyness, and good performance. If stealth and ease of installation are of no concern to you, the Maco V-5/8 is almost impossible to beat. If you can't put up anything higher than 20-30 feet overall above ground, then the Top One is impossible to beat."

oh, and this one gave me a good laugh:

"even without skip...i can talk from east coast to west coast on a quiet channel..
talking I10K to I10K easily at distance is like talking on phone (well almost...lol)"

that is amazing, because when there is no skip, i cant hear ANY of the 100's of people running I-10k's, high gain beam antennas, or even 50,000 watts.
are they just not on the radio when i am? LOL

that was a good one!
loosecannon

Reactions: Marconi
loosecannon said:
Still, to this day, I would push the Imax 2000 for its ease of installation, stealthyness, and good performance. If stealth and ease of installation are of no concern to you, the Maco V-5/8 is almost impossible to beat. If you can't put up anything higher than 20-30 feet overall above ground, then the Top One is impossible to beat."

Which one is the top one for 20-30 feet ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.