• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Collinear

Mar 18, 2018
Collinear antenna for cb band. I have thought about getting 2 spt 500 and put one up and then one down without the ground plane but how would I connect the two? 75 ohm coax cable or 50 ohm coax? Anyone got a way I could do this and it work?

Since a 5/8 wave antenna can be matched at 50 ohms with just an inductor placed in series at the feed point (no tap to ground), why not consider replacing the ground plane radials with another 5/8 wave radiator and matching inductor below the first? Then it's a balanced antenna where both coils can be fed with the coax through a ferite balun.

People have been doing this for years with high impedance ladder line feeding the two 5/8 wave antenna sections but I think a pair of inductor coils at the feed point could directly match this collinear antenna to 50 ohm coax with just a balun added. Two Sirio Tornado 5/8 wave antennas without the radials would lend themselves well to this modification since their matching coils are not DC grounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?