• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Colt Excalibur SSB radio issue.

long night

Jan 8, 2020
Hi to all. I purchased a Colt Excalibur SSB cb that was said to be fully functional. It did not come with a mic or power cord. I bought a power cord for it. When plugged in and turned on the power light comes on, but I can not get any other light to come on, not even the channel light. Does it need the correct mic hooked up to make the channel light work or for any other function lights to come on? Or is there another issue? The party i purchased it from said he had no power cord or mic, but had a radio shop that had the correct ones test it and it worked perfectly. Any ideas why it won't at least make the channel light come on?
Thanks for any help here.
Chuck Saylor

Reactions: Crawdad

Can you supply a picture?

They may have left the thing in PA mode, check for the CB PA switch and see if that needs to get toggled the other way...then get a 4-pin Microphone wired for Uniden - Cobra - Galaxy 4 pin style...because you have to swap the wiring using the 4-pin plug to fit the 4-pin jack.

You REVERSE two pins on both sides (I know it sounds weird) but when you look at the plug, the wires are mirrored to the notch both sides stay apart in aspect, but the Audio Ground and RX and TX paring is reversed - easy to understand in some approaches.

See below - each pin has an assigned number you should be able to see it in strong light and a good magnifying glass to help. Notice the "notch" and follow the pin numbers.

1- Audio
2 - Ground
3 - TX
4 - RX

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Here's why?
1644529986404.png
IT ain't right when it comes to NOTCH.
1644531515437.png

Because

if you follow PIN designations - it's above but the NOTCH is not correct in ASPECT to the wiring.
It could also be this...

Pin 2 to Pin 2 ASPECT - is ACTUALLY PIN 2 by Identifier LOCATION (GROUND COMMON)

However...

To Get Receive:

Pin 2 - SHORTS TO - Pin 3

To Get Transmit:
Pin 4 (On Mic Plug) -
SHORTS TO - Pin 2 ON MIC PLUG

Hence the MIRROR aspect...

Proceed at your own risk - cannot be held responsible for errors suppled in both schematic - manufacturer and Identifier pinouts incorrectly identified

1644531614765.png

Take your pick
Both use SAME COLOR Scheme - but due to schematic pin for pin identification - you may have to experiment.

So, the Mic "Audio wire" goes to Pin 1 - whatever color you have wired in the mic for the Element (it uses two, but one goes to shield internally at the switch in the handset - that is also known as GROUND and or COMMON - Mic element is a two-wire element, so it needs to complete a circuit - that means, one to ground the other to AUDIO Pin 1 on your plug.
You'll have a Braided wire or known as SHIELD - that goes to Pin 2 GROUND / COMMON
Pin 3 is the contact that shorts to your Pin 2 when the mic is unkeyed (plunger out) That is Receive
Pin 4 is the contact that shorts to Pin 2 when you key the Handset- push the plunger in, to Transmit

Last edited:
I remember two different radios that said Colt Excalibur.

One was made in Japan by Cybernet. The other was made in Taiwan maybe by Fanon-Courier, or by RCI after they bought the factory.

Each very different on the inside.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.