• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Comet CSB-790A antenna ?

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
I was told buy an owner of the same antenna that it has a fold down option. There were no instructions in the package. I thought you pulled up on the spring tension base so it would swivel. I did not try to force it. Do I have to loosen one of the set screws first? I survived m first encounter at the drive through at the bank this morning, luckily.

Thanks

If we are talking about the same thing, then leave any 'set-screws' alone. The version of that antenna that I had did fold over from just above the bottom 'load', unscrew the knurled ring, then lift to fold.
I gave the thing away. No idea if it performed as advertised (I couldn't tell any significant diffrence), but was just too un-handy. Went back to using a Comet CA2X4SR that I am still using. It does everything I expect it to do.
- 'Doc

I'm using the Comet CA2X4SR as well Doc. Did you know it has the lift-and-fold feature as well? I had it for about five or six years before I found out. :unsure: I was washing the vehicle one day and decided to wash the bugs off it. In the process of squeezing the sponge around the antenna and lifting it up it popped out of the base. :eek: Scared the crap out of me as I thought I had broken it. :w00t:

As a matter of fact, I'm not too sure my CA2x4SR does that fold over thingy. I know I've seen them advertised as having it, but not sure how to make it do that folding thing. I do understand about the 'dirtying your pants' aspect, I do NOT want to break the dang thing, it works! I'm going to have to try it this morning, so if I break it, you are in soooo much trouble!
- 'Doc

Just come and get me!!! :love: BTW it will be a real hoot and I won't feel so bad about myself if you discover it does fold over after all this time. My antenna had nothing to that effect in the paperwork that came with it and like I said it took me 5-6 years before I found it out. It lifts out at the base of the whip just before the larger diameter base section. It's a pretty heavy spring so you may have to give it quite a tug. After reading the Comet antenna site I believe ALL the CA2X4SR's will do that. Straight from the NCG website:

CA-2x4SR BROADBAND VHF/UHF Dual Band Antenna
CA-2x4SR: Designed to assist Search & Rescue Volunteers and Professionals
1.5:1 or less SWR: 140-160/435-465MHz
Gain: 3.8/6.2dBi
Max Power: 150 watts
Length: 40 inches
Connector: PL-259
Fold-over hinge included

The CA-2x4SR is a broad-band antenna designed for those needing voice communications on the ham radio, land mobile, and FRS frequency ranges.
When the amateur radio community is working together with local search and rescue and other public service agencies, the CA-2x4SR antenna allows TX and RX capability in both bands!
The coverage area and gain provided by the CA-2x4SR is remarkable. Whether used on VHF or UHF or both, it is an asset to the communications needs of amateurs and land mobile users simultaneously.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.