• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Commander 150A AB linear amp schematic?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I have seen many of these amps floating around in my day. Used to be very common. Long ago, I had the 250A(?) model, IIRC. But I cannot seem to find a schematic for one.

Someone brought me two of them to go thru and make them work. If I had a schematic, I might have a chance. CBTricks doesn't have one, as I have looked thru their amp schemes.

Anyone have a schematic?
Thanks in advance!

IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Found a smoked 68 ohm resistor that I think goes to a 2N4401 transistor.
That transistor is probably cactus - along with that resistor.
The TX keying circuit?
Dunno . . .
Haven't checked the relays yet; but it sure would be cool to have the schemo for it.
Not making any money on it, just helping a local CBer/forum member because he asked for help.

Last edited:
Never have had a diagram for this one. I remember it for the double-sided pc board and the tendency of the foil pads to lift. Don't know if it was just cheap glue or what but unsoldering a component from one of these seemed almost guaranteed to lift a foil pad.

Not a favorite.

And a diagram would still be better than not having one.

Reactions: NZ8N and Robb
It does look very similar to the old Palomar Red Devil mobile 10/11 meter amplifier. There is no doubt that the case is identical.

I will keep looking periodically. I did see where a couple of them had been listed and sold on eBay back in 2018 but there was no link to technical specs or schematics.

Reactions: Robb
Findings:

The smoked 68 ohm resistor in one amp showed a value of 114k ohms; so it was replaced (doh!); the 2N4401 transistor was OK - strangely enough.
Found three caps (one 10uf and two 470uf's) that were marginal/bad and were replaced.
Rec Amp indicator led needed to be resoldered and now works.
Removed two finals in one amp and tested them - both good.
Cleaned off the old paste, filed them flat with a smooth flat file and re-installed them with new paste.
Adjusted RV1 pot in both amps.
Cleaned the relays in both amps; one was pretty badly carboned up, but cleaned up well (both were dirty).
Both amps are working.
DK was set to 3w on a President Grant test radio and both amps saw ~140w/pep @13.8v on a 100w dummy load.

Thanks to all who chimed in!

Last edited:
BTW - are those Macom branded MRF-455's transistors any good?
Or are they junk?

Both of these amp here have the original Motorola transistors in them - no problem there.

Was just wondering about the Macom output power, build consistency, and quality . . .

Last edited:
Findings:

The smoked 68 ohm resistor in one amp showed a value of 114k ohms; so it was replaced.
Found three filter caps (one 10uf and two 470uf's) that were marginal/bad and were replaced.
Rec Amp led needed to be resoldered and now works.
Removed two finals and tested them - both good.
Cleaned off the old paste, filed them flat with a smooth flat file and re-installed them with new paste.
Adjusted RV1 in both amps.
Cleaned the relays in both amps; one was pretty badly carboned up, but cleaned up well.
Both amps are working.
DK was set to 3w on a Uniden Grant and both amps saw ~140w/pep.

Thanks to all who chimed in!
It is always awesome to hear good news!
I am glad that you got them both working.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.