• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

common mode choke on Imax

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
Is it possible that the Mfg is counting on that chunk of coax to provide something that the Imax needs to work properly.........just a thought now, just a random thought.....

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

The manual says the balun will cause high SWR? That's odd. Try putting the choke 1/4 wave down the coax...

</p>

I don't run one on my I-10K because I haven't found that I need it. I do have one on my dipole. If you do it for the Imax, it certainly won't hurt anything that I can think of. It's possible that if you're using the Imax without the ground plane kit, then it's using the coax shield for counterpoise. I haven't looked at the schematc of the matching system in a while (can't find it anymore), but I seem to recall that looking at it made me come to that conclusion. If that's the case (can someone verify this?) then making the choke 1/4 wave down will still allow it to have the counterpoise.

</p>

Yes , I agree with most of you- there are better antennas than the Imax.

I am putting one up though, probably just for a few years. I am very concerned with tvi, etc. I am running one 55 foot section up an old pole. This will have an eight turn coax balun loop from the LMR 400 right beneath the feedpoint. At the bottom of the pole I join the top lmr 400 segment with a 45 foot piece to run into the house. This barrel connector junction will be grounded into the old ground wire on the pole.

The Antenna support pole clamped to the old wooden pole will also be grounded into the old ground system.

Seems to me this should work well with my Yaesu. My question is why does the Imax instruction manual expressively condemn use of a coax balun under the antenna?

I just want to do my best for good performance and a low near field rf profile. Cannot do radials. Any advice appreciated,

thanks,

phil

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.