• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Communicating after a disaster

Captain and Doc, Thank you for the advice! I plan on joining a club so I can get a handle on all this. Last thing I want to do is be part of a problem. I think this has been a great thread so far.

I guess the best solution is getting the best equipment we can afford, stay off the repeaters and hope for the best.

Cheers
(y)

I guess the best solution is getting the best equipment we can afford, stay off the repeaters and hope for the best.

Cheers
(y)

Hey guy, They're NOT saying "stay off repeaters" The point is, in a major disaster the repeaters may be off line too due to power outages.

The point is not to count on repeaters being there during a disaster.

Yes....go to school.

<You should never make using a repeater part of your emergency communications plan>

<Very basically, if someone is okay, they have no business tying up usable radio frequencies.>

Sounds like stay off repeaters to me friend.

Thanks

<You should never make using a repeater part of your emergency communications plan>

<Very basically, if someone is okay, they have no business tying up usable radio frequencies.>

Sounds like stay off repeaters to me friend.

Thanks

Yes fine good good. I've only been doing this since 1976 and you are a newbie. So clearly it is I who doesn't understand. So sorry.

It obvious we have a different interpretation to what was said and that's okay. Respect

Actually it is credit where credit is due. I understand perfectly what was being stated or implied. I believe it is you with your newbie status that misunderstood. Whatever. Join a club and learn. Good advice.

cmario, when I said not to make repeaters part of your emergency communications plan I meant that you should not count on being able to access a repeater whether it is on the air or not and not that you should stay off of them. If you made plans around operating through a repeater and the repeater was either off-line or overwhelmed with emergency traffic what would you do then? Go to plan B right? That is what I meant, always have a plan B ready as well as a plan C too.

If the repeaters are down wouldn't you use a amp on a battery or something to get your message out?:laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.