• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COMPARE COBRA 29 148

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
would like to know what you all think about comparing cobra 29 to a cobra 148.
i'm looking for a nice night watch radio and was thinking between these two radios.
i know the 148 has upper/lower which i will never use.
i just worder which one could be peaked out the best.

If you don't care about ssb go with the 29.There are plenty of 29's still working after many years and a lot of abuse and I dare say more 29's have been modified than any other radio.

they will usually ship that radio for free as well , the 68 that is. Your looking at about 54.00 total dollars. At Christmas time (The month of December) they will ship all for free !! I've done business with Uniden many times and they are very good to do buisness with ,once you do , you will also get savings deals via your email. The rebates can be very nice !! The 29 and the 148s are two very different radios (especially the older 148s , they are pretty much all around better made then the new ones BUT ! the new 148s can be made to work fairly well all the same. If your just a AM kind of guy ,the 29s RX and TX will get the job done for you. The older 148s (the same as the cobra 2000 boards and the Grant XL ) are the cream of the crop for a cb AM/SSB radio ! , (You can find them a plenty on Ebay) I would surely rather have one of those then the new ones today and more then likely at a better used price then the new ones of today. Weather used for mobile or base station , the audio and the receive on those babies are sweet !! I personally think ,very different from a 29s audio (not to say that the 29s audio ain't bad ) You would pretty much have to have both side by side and do the test for yourself to see what I mean. If AM is your thing ?then the 29 will do what you need. If you want the best of both worlds (AM/SSB) a used older Cobra 148GTL ALL THE WAY !!! Have fun
cobra148gtlspecsheetfrohq6.jpg

I agree with what switch kit said, the older 148's are awesome radios and can get pretty good am audio as well. The newer 148's dont tune up as well IMO. You never know if you get into ssb, but if you are sure you never will a 29 will do what you want it to do.

I LOVE my 148GTL :D Has been used as a base radio w/D104 fer the last 6 months an have had awsome reports on both AM an SSB. Oh yeah, tiz the older model GTL :D

You've already gotten some good insight from other posters, but here's my 2 cents.

If you know you won't use single sideband, definitely go with the 29. It will tune up MUCH better than the 148, even with just a standard tune-up. If you choose, you can have it modified further with a better final (and the other parts changes that go with it), for some VERY strong transmit performance. I've personally seen 50 miles and more out of a Cobra 29 with a good antenna and good conditions.

If you think you might use SSB sometime, and you only have those two to choose from, go with teh 148. However, I'd pick a Texas Ranger SSB model, or one of the Galaxy SSB CB models (949,959, etc).

Reactions: Slowmover
Too bad they are out of stock on a lot of their products.
$49 for a Uniden 68xl is a great deal!

Get on the waiting list.

I did and it said I'm first. :shock:

Even if I'm not, big deal, that's just too cheap not to try.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.