• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Completely new to CBs

U

UNCherfer

Hey y'all, thought I'd post a "hello," and ask a few questions. As the subject of this thread indicates, I'm completely new to the world of CBs, and as such I was hoping for some general info.

What I'm hoping to do is to install some type of CB in my F250. Prefferably, it would be something with a small footprint that looks somewhat, for lack of a better word, "modern." I don't think a chrome brick would look too good in the cab of my truck, even though I like the way they look most other places. Basically what I had in mind was something like a Cobra 75 WX ST -- something I can mount down and out of the way. Also, for mounting an antenna -- should I stick one on the passenger side mirror (something like a 2 footer or so), or should I do an antenna swap and replace the stock radio antenna with a CB antenna that has an AM/FM/CB seperator?

Ok, sorry for the long winded intro -- just kinda getting into this stuff and I think it's really interesting. Thanks for any help!

</p>

I guess the first question that needs answered is what do you want to use it for? The second is how much do you want to spend? Also, do you want to be able to use SSB and any of the channels above or below the standard 40?

If you have your heart set on the Cobra 75wxst, email me....I have one that I bought in October that I'm not using any more. Nothing wrong with it....tuckert@mminternet.com

</p>

UNCherfer,

How much money do you want to spend and what type of operating capabilities are you looking for? Answer these two questions and let the recommendations begin. Keep in mind you may outgrow your first purchase very quickly. In other words, purchasing a radio with just a little more capabilities than what your looking for may be cheaper in the long run.

Antennas? Definately do not be too skimpy when considering your antenna. If you haven`t opened a can of worms with the radio topic, you`ll definately do it with the antennas.

Main</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=main>main</A> 
usflag2.gif
at: 4/29/02 3:49:10 pm

UNCherfer,

I was in pretty much the same situation a couple months ago...didn't want to stick a "driver rig" in my pickup, but wanted "driver rig" performance. Looks sort of out of place I guess. I suggest you check out the Magnum 257 or its "generic" brother the Titan Road Pro. Lot of radio for the money, and fits in a lot better with a modern interior. I ended up with the Magnum 357 for its added amp, and flush mounted the control head in the ash tray of my Ranger.

Also, I get the feeling from your post that you aren't putting enough emphasis on your antenna as you should be. You will be better off with good antenna and a cheapo radio than visa versa. I use a Wilson 1000 Magnetic mount and am pretty happy with it.

And one last thing...you have found THE PLACE as far as researching your purchase. No matter what it is, someone on this board has "been there, done that".

hollywoodsig.gif
</p>

UNCherfer,

Make sure you purchase a swr meter and follow the directions for tuning your antenna. An swr meter from radio shack should work fine. It will help the performance of your radio and will be beneficial for the life of your radio.

TB

</p>

I also would say the Titan or Magnum 257. When you get this all setup, email me. I have a meter. We can meet at South Square parking lot and tune it up.

</p>

On the antenna, go with the quick disconnect. The minimum lenght of an antenna should be 4 ft, but the longer the better. That way you could remove it when parking your truck, and ot also helps with keeping radio thieves away.

As far as the Cobra 75 goes, Iv'e never owned one so I cant give you an opinion. I would suggest looking at something like the Titan Roadpro. Small yet classy looking and performance hard to beat for around $100. AM, FM, USB, LSB, nice features.

Hope this helps

fasteddy

High Country DX, HF Specailist. Del Norte, CO
contact me at pe765@aol.com
mid79290big.jpg
</p>

I've used a Cobra 75wxst in the past for about 6 months. Whether or not it will suit your needs depends on what you are planning on doing with the radio. If you want to talk to other drivers around town or nearby on the highway, it will work fine for that. The receive on that radio is noisy and not very sensitive, however. You will definately have to get used to living with the squelch down. I did always get good reports from others about how I sounded though, and *that's* good. One thing that is neat is that you can buy another remote rf unit for about $35 (the little box you hide under the dash, or wherever) and put it into another vehicle. Then all you have to do is unscrew the mike, and you got a radio in your other car. That being said, the Titan or Magnum 257 are much better radios, but they're not as "small" as the Cobra 75, if that's important to you.

As far as the antenna....It sounds like a Wilson 2000 Trucker is the way for you to go. Mount it on the mirror, with as long of a shaft as you want (Like RR was recommending). It will work much better than a 2' or 3' stick.

BTW, I still wanna sell that Cobra 75wxst if you're interested....tuckert@mminternet.com

Moleculo

</p>

Heck no. We have no "shops" around the Triangle. You can get some antennas and accessories if you run up 40/85 west of Hillsborough to the Petro truck stop at the Buckhorn Rd exit. Other than that, use the web.

</p>

When the Army had me living in Fayetteville a few years ago there was a pretty darn good shop there....no way I will remember the name but it may be worth looking up. Only and hour or so from you. The guy that ran it knew his stuff and didn't try to talk people into stupid mods.

hollywoodsig.gif
</p>

Did I miss something? what did you choose for an antenna, you will NEVER be happy with a radio setup unless you are running a good antenna. It is absolutely crucial to your ability to "get out".

1) As far as Coax goes there is a lot of debate but as a standard, I'd say get 18' and call it good.

2) Your truck will be fine, nothing needs to be done just run the wire from the battery with at least 10ga wire and you'll be good to go!

Hope this helps, let us know if you need any more info!

yaesu.gif

</p>

Like I said UNC, if you want any help, drop me an email at linetest2@cs.com.

I'm in Durham and have done the channel mod on a similar radio. Its easy and quick.

</p>

I wouldn't sweat it just yet, they are probably having web server problems which would effect their email as well. I really wouldn't worry about it yet, now if it becomes a couple weeks and still nothing then i might start worrying, but most likely its just bad timing. Don't worry!

yaesuonair.gif

</p>

I was wondering what became of your order. Did you get stung on that deal?

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.