• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CONCIDERING HF TRANSCEIVER(11 METER MOD)

w9cll is correct. You usually only need to "crack open" the gain on most power mics with a fresh battery in for them to work properly.

The mic I'm using has compression built in so I do not use that function in the radio. I set the mic gain on the both the mic and radio accordingly to achieve proper modulation on the O-scope without pumping the ALC too much, then drive the system while watching for any harmonic spurs on the analyzer. It is somewhat interesting to note that leaves the radio mic gain at about 10 o'clock and the mic's gain pot at 8 o'clock to get 100% modulation. Similar with the radio's adjustable RF power pot set at 8 o'clock in the AM mode to get the desired 10 watt carrier & 40-50 watt swing for cleanliness without being in the weeds.

See the pattern here? "all knobs to right" folks need not apply :D

If you power mic is just too hot for the radio you can add a "T-Pad" circuit in line with the mic. Basically it's just a few resistors. It can be found here:

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

I'm definitely leaning towards the 1000 MP. I hope others weigh in on other brands and other yaesu models that do sound well on am. it seems like it's going to be a while as those 1000 MP's don't show up that often. I've been looking on ebay and other similar types of auction and for sale site's but I've noticed the other 1000 models available in larger numbers. I guess that's a good sign as the MP owners don't want to part with their transceivers. I still hope many others weigh in on the subject as the 1000 MP for me is still not written in stone as to my final purchase. thanks again. I very much appreciate the time and replies to my posts/questions.
Warning. Text wall follows:

IMO, save up a few extra bucks and find a used Yaesu FT-1000MP HF Base rig for under a grand and you will have the some of best of both AM & SSB worlds. I've mentioned this before but have been so completely satisfied with the AM TX audio reports it is worth repeating. Of course the receiver section is top notch.

You get built in separate dual receivers that you can listen to two frequencies at the same time, built in power supply, built in antenna tuner and a (2) Toshiba 2sc2879 final amplifier section! There are many more positive features. Plug it into the 120 VAC wall outlet and your good to go.

SSB is good for 100+ watts. No problem getting 100% modulation here with a quality power desk mic. AM TX sounds great at 10 watt dead key and 40 watts peak (if you can live with that until you can get an external amp for bigger watts)

This rig, fed into a well constructed high drive (4) pill Toshiba 2sc2879 comp box on a 100 amp DC supply with a little reverb and audio compression, sounds awesome on AM. (there will be Class C non-believers) It has better audio than my Stryker 955 and that rig puts out on AM if you know what I'm talking about. The 1000MP even does ESSB and HiFi AM when the DSP is enabled if you want. Just sayin'...

General coverage is obtained with push buttons on the front. No need to open it up or send it out. I do not have experience with the FT-1000MP MkV or the FT-1000MP Field transceivers and can only vouch for the Yaesu FT-1000MP. There are substantial differences.

FYI most solid state HF shack-in-a-box rigs do not sound good on AM transmit. I admit that I have other HF rigs that do not sound that good on AM transmit like the Yaesu 857/897D. My Kenwood 430s has decent AM audio out but the AM receive isn't so great. The Tempo/ Uniden 2020 and FT-101EE have decent AM audio out, but again need some modification/ filters added to get the AM receive audio to sound right.

Your interest in the hobby can grow with a big rig like the Yaesu FT-1000MP base station. If I saw another one for under a $K and had the cash in my pocket I'd get a second one just for a back up ;)

Good looking out. It's exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately I've never and will never send a money order ot personal check to a complete stranger. It's an added safety net that the seller is a ham operator and left his call singh but thiefs come from all sectors. I hope you understand. I don't want you to feel as you've wasted your time.I do appreciate I t.I know one can be taken on eBay but I'll garrente if I recive a brick from a seller on eBay wheather it's sold as is with no returns excepted my PayPal and or credit card co. will not pay. This type of sale scares me as I have absolutely no recourse as to the return of my money and sending a personal check to a complete stranger is a no no. Thanks again and god bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.