• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Conductive glue? Worry about corrosive glue.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Worrying about conductive contact cement/glue in a radio is one thing.

This Cobra 25LTD went dead on the shelf. Turns out the brown contact cement they used for the 10.24 MHz crystal turned corrosive. Totally rotted the wire leads.

P5RutP.jpg

A new crystal and some cleanup got it working again.

Can't imagine spending much more than that to rescue a 25LTD.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I have seen a few 29xlr and the president teddy r with the same problem of rotting the legs off the crystals. I have a Teddy R in the garage right now that I need to find a crystal for. only problem is a new crystal cost more than what the complete radio will sell for.

I have seen a few 29xlr and the president teddy r with the same problem of rotting the legs off the crystals. I have a Teddy R in the garage right now that I need to find a crystal for. only problem is a new crystal cost more than what the complete radio will sell for.
Same problem with a couple Cobra 19 plus radios I’ve been refurbishing. Glued down wires on the print side destroyed if not weakened some the surrounding prints.
I suspect you’re probably looking for the oddball 36.570 Tx mixer crystal. I have plenty 10.240 reference and 10.695 offset crystals. If you need one of those, let me know and I’ll toss a few in the mail. 36.570mhz also happens to be a receiver frequency used in remote controls. You will see the Futaba brand crystals sold on Ebay for around $8 with shipping. I don't know if that crystal would make a good substitute though. I never tried one and I have no idea what the load capacitance specs are for either crystal. If the crystal can’t be trimmed within range, the circuit would need modifying.

Sunbull I tried one of the remote crystals a couple years ago and it did not work. the 36.570 is the one I am needing. I may need a 10.695 crystal for it also. after I found the 36.570 bad I never went any farther until I can find one. I have the 10.240 crystals but not a one of the other 2.

Sunbull I tried one of the remote crystals a couple years ago and it did not work. the 36.570 is the one I am needing. I may need a 10.695 crystal for it also. after I found the 36.570 bad I never went any farther until I can find one. I have the 10.240 crystals but not a one of the other 2.
Did you try scraping all the junk off the bottom of the crystal? I tried that successfully once. There was nothing left of the leads after cleaning except two flush stubs on the surface, but was still able to carefully solder on a couple of leads. It wouldn’t take much to break them off, so I applied some epoxy afterwards to hold them tight. Again let me know later if you need any 10.695 crystals. I have a pile of NOS Hy-Gain 02A AM Cybernet boards I bought on a surplus sale with that crystal. All the crystals I robbed off of them so far have worked. In fact I swapped out an entire board with one once. I was surprised that the board needed very little tweaking. It seems all the cans must have been somehow pre-aligned.

the 36.570 crystal out of this radio I have does not even have a stub to try to solder too. it is just a hole in the area where the pin came out of it..
rfparts did have some 10.695 crystals at one time. for some reason the section for galaxy parts does not show any items for Galaxy. guess I will have to call them to see if they have any parts. maybe just an error on their site for a few days. hope they did not stop carrying galaxy parts.
here is what I get when going into the galaxy page for each part. you can click on galaxy parts and it takes you to that section then when you click on a part this is what comes up on the screen.

https://www.rfparts.com/galaxyradioparts/galaxy-crystals.html

the 36.570 crystal out of this radio I have does not even have a stub to try to solder too. it is just a hole in the area where the pin came out of it..
Yea, that’s bad. One thing for sure, around the same time you’ve given up on that radio and started scrapping it for parts, another one shows up for a song at a garage sale. Always seems to happen to me anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.