• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Conduit dipole swr issues

Well my swr went back up there is one or two things causing this not sure wanting some help first in the middle I put a peice of metal in pvc then put them in the conduit I know the metal is not touching the poles used it for strength. The other thing is to attach it to the tree I'm using wire. Is the metal in the pvc causing this or is it the wire or is it both

Well my swr went back up there is one or two things causing this not sure wanting some help first in the middle I put a peice of metal in pvc then put them in the conduit I know the metal is not touching the poles used it for strength. The other thing is to attach it to the tree I'm using wire. Is the metal in the pvc causing this or is it the wire or is it both

I would remove both metal items. Recheck it for SWR - you had it right at one point; retrace your steps. Mount it with non-metal items - however possible.
Two cents...

I just finished putting up a horizontal dipole made of 1 1/4" chain link fence top rail (I already owned plenty of the top rail).

The top rail slides comfortably into 1 1/4" pvc which is the center of my dipole. There are two pieces of the pvc that are combined by a pvc tee. I feed it with coax. I attached a pl239 with 16ga stranded wire to the two radials via electrical terminals attached by bolts through the pvc and top rail. I made a coax choke directly beneath the antenna feed point and trimmed the length of each end of the dipole to obtain favorable swr.
I began with each top rail being 8' 8". Eventually trimmed off 5" from each end. I suppose that length was because of the large diameter of the top rail.

It is about three feet above the ridge of my roof at its center, and due to the pitch of the roof about six feet at its tips. The whole thing is 21 feet above the ground.

My swr is 1:2:1 @ channel 40 and 1:0:1 @ channel one.

I made a solid contact with McAllen, Texas this evening from Northwest Arkansas during a brief period of skip. Also, Only the closest locals who are vertical can communicate with me while many other local verticals can neither hear me nor be heard by me on the horizontal dipole.

I am pleased with the results.

Attachments

• P2210008clup.jpg
    P2210008clup.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P2210009_sm.JPG
    P2210009_sm.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P2210005_sm.JPG
    P2210005_sm.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I just finished putting up a horizontal dipole made of 1 1/4" chain link fence top rail (I already owned plenty of the top rail).

Decided to turn it to 45* angle and put it higher. Too little skip to wait on DXing at horizontal.

Good local reports so far, at least as good as my A99.

45dipoleCc.JPG

hmmmmmmmmmm........ kinda makes ya wonder why buy a antron when a dipole will do as well ?

hmmmmmmmmmm........ kinda makes ya wonder why buy a antron when a dipole will do as well ?

I am not trying to establish any order of superiority for the two antennas, just saying what the reports are, and what I'm seeing/hearing.

I will try it a few more days, and monitor for further out stations.

Maybe someone who knows more than I do about dipole v A99 performances could enlighten me.

I'm just having a little fun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.