• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 3300 HP frequency problem

Yes the channel display stays on the correct channel you put it on so that does not change. I will have to pick back up on this tomorrow as I have to go to my 2nd job now so it will be tomorrow before I can get back with on this problem with you. I want to thank you very much for all the help. This is on whacked out radio no doubt. One I have never seen do this in all the many years I been dealing with CB's.

Resistor Array.jpg
The above is what I'm talking about.

If one of the pins or the whole mess - is inserted wrong - this may be the whole problem.

Double check the orientation...these things to go out is extremely rare but you never know if work was done and they inserted in backwards or replaced with wrong part "keyed" opposite of what it needed to be put in as...

:+> Andy <+:

Attachments

• ChannelSelector.jpg
    ChannelSelector.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ResistorArraycsc-105207.pdf
    416.6 KB · Views: 3
Quick check for the resistor arrays.

Select band A. All the pins on these resistor arrays will be logic "high", the same as the regulated supply voltage feeding pin 16 of each 4008 chip.

Any of them that read lower indicate trouble. Just doesn't immediately tell you what kind of trouble.

View attachment 24002
The above is what I'm talking about.

If one of the pins or the whole mess - is inserted wrong - this may be the whole problem.

Double check the orientation...these things to go out is extremely rare but you never know if work was done and they inserted in backwards or replaced with wrong part "keyed" opposite of what it needed to be put in as...

Both Arrays are factory and never been touched. I have checked the voltages against a working radio and both check out the same voltage on both radios. Both radios are the same exact radio so I have something to go by.

Quick check for the resistor arrays.

Select band A. All the pins on these resistor arrays will be logic "high", the same as the regulated supply voltage feeding pin 16 of each 4008 chip.

Any of them that read lower indicate trouble. Just doesn't immediately tell you what kind of trouble.

Checked voltages against a working radio and both match the same with each other.

WOW...Ok, when the probable has been checked, only thing left is the improbable...

Ok...Ahemn...

You did change/swap out the channel selector - did you change the wiring header too? Or just plug in the new one to check against the old using the original harness.

There are checks I was trying to perform on a spare 33 over here a customer brought in for a look see. I can't take pictures of customer work without permission so - I'm left looking...

I was trying to do up a "truth chart" about the Band switch and channel selector.

You ran out of time - so did I - so I went home and did some more research.

I never did know if you "swapped" the header harness too or just plugged in a new one.

ChannelSelectorLarge.jpg

Why is that so important - if one of the wires is broken or the traces are bad to the PLL - the PLL may get the "notion" that something changed and so it "seeks" new programming.

The previous graphic shows ground traces in various areas, including one that is by IC6 and IC7 - if that trace is bad, you would not know it - because ohmic DC readings are fine - but on the LOGIC level - they are pretty dirty because you now have a noisy ground plane adding to the problem.

ChannelSchematic.jpg

Its when you changed the band HI-LO switch, did the jump occur. So that means even though the channel selector shows the same channel - meaning the wiring in that board assembly is correct - there is a difference in sensing between the channel and Band switches. Something is triggering the PLL to re-look at states and change the frequency. Why? Well, ground loops and noisy grounds can force logic levels to get "Jittery" at times - this is true in any PC - a bad filter cap can do this - because the power supply feed may be ok, but the GROUND to it may not.

This may not be at the channel selector - it is prolly back that the BANDSWITCH header with the poor noisy stuff.

I noticed there was also TWO versions of this channel selector - one uses BLACK as ground wire - all harness pins are used too...
ChannelSelectorVersion2.jpg

You may need to "scope" the ground wire and B+ wire from the switch on the Main PCB - for noises. I'm thinking you have one or several things wrong - poor ground case or front panel (shield ground from chassis) or you have a failed cap or poor filtering cap that using a bad ground that opened up or has gone noisy...or worse - a ground that floats at whatever is present locally. Again - a popped trace can do this...

EPT360014BVotlageFEEDand Ground.jpg

Also, when the thing jumps, it's not a "HUGE" channel bump - it's rather small - it's why I brought up the resistor arrays - because if the CARRY on one is not terminated right - the chip can emit a "chirp" when the carry "blip" is not terminated - its' a noise issue - and why I brought it up - the carry goes from IC7 chip "B" pin 9 to IC6 chip "A" pin 14 (carry in) and it's pin 9 needs to show 47K to ground...termination point. The PLL sees the noise and then goes to what it thinks is right.

Remember the channel selector uses a different spot for voltage source that goes to the PLL - so if those pins change a lot or show noise - you have an injection point to make the PLL think you're changing channels and when the noise stops - it halts any activity because the PINS and CHANNEL are not the same as it once was.

An audio tracer can spot noise right away - so this may be a big area you have to check - even the jumpers that jump ground from one section to another are culprits too. You'll hear it as clicks and chirps if it's really noisy.

Reactions: Crossbow
I just swapped the channel selector with the good one and left it inline as the old one has some digits out. Ok let me get busy running through all this grounding you spoke of and I will report back. Thanks again for taking the time to help me on this. I am about ready to pitch in it in the parts box and be done with this nightmare..LOL One could just use the thing with keeping in mind if you change channels then you need to power it off and back on each time after switching channels.. Yeah that would be a hoot huh..LOL

Forgot to add I did ohm all the wires the selector to make sure there was no break or funny stuff going on and they tested fine. Now on to testing all these grounding spots. Will report back soon!

Traced all grounds and all check out good. No I have not done any work on C101 or J64 but I will check them tomorrow when I get back in the shop. I have to head out to my 2nd job now so will report back tomorrow when I get back on this nightmare. Thanks again for your help and hope you have a great evening.

I hope you guy's hurry up and find this. a friend had one acting about like what this one is having and I found a trans acting up. forget the number but it was around tr31 to tr33. one of them. it has stated acting up again. only thing is his is a galaxy 33 which is basically the same radio. thinking a cap may be causing his trans to go bad.
so hurry up and find this problem and may be his is the same problem. his would jump to about 27.385 from what I remember.

a couple years ago I had one that when you would TX the radio would go up about 10khz only on transmit. found the tx trans was bad on it. changed it out and the radio has been working fine ever since.

C101 and J64 checks out fine. Replaced C101 anyway. Changed the PLL and that was not the problem. Check all the diode matrix and checks out fine. TR30 checked out fine. There is no Tr31 or Tr33 in this radio. Checked Tr34 it is fine. Changed both Arrays just for the heck of it and they are fine also. Hair puller here guys for sure!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.