• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 3300hp almost dead

Mk121

Oct 28, 2015
I have a 3300hp that is in very nice condition and seems to be unmolested. Problem is when powered on the only thing that comes on is the meter light. No channel display, no tx/rx light, no transmit, do hear some static in speaker though. Checked the voltage regulator and there is power there. Trying to look on schematic where to check next but I'm getting a little confused. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Oh yea board is 360014c

I'd start with checking the obvious first, wiring harnesses, anything connected to the main pcb, jumpers, transistors/ic's mounted to the aluminum chassis etc. You'd be surprised how many chassis mounted devices I've seen with broken joins going to the pcb. Wiggle stuff around and see if you see life. Sometimes you it'll save you some labor. I'd start there!

I can only go by what you are saying but sounds like you have no receive as well static may indicate that the audio section is ok but maybe not. If you have voltage at the regulator and it's the correct voltage and it's a regulator that has something to do with the problem you are experiencing? That would still not mean that voltage is making to the channel selector or in this case the PLL circuits after all you have no receive? I'm assuming a lot but it's all I have to work with at this moment. If you have the 8v needed to supply the display and PLL circuit just follow the flow of that 8v suspect everything after you no longer can find that 8v along the path it's either an open or a short Electrolytic maybe. Follow the yellow brick roads that the 9v (+/-) is supposed to be delivered on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mk121 and kaos513
Old enough for this? This kit will help;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142985004659

s-l1600.jpg

I can only go by what you are saying but sounds like you have no receive as well static may indicate that the audio section is ok but maybe not. If you have voltage at the regulator and it's the correct voltage and it's a regulator that has something to do with the problem you are experiencing? That would still not mean that voltage is making to the channel selector or in this case the PLL circuits after all you have no receive? I'm assuming a lot but it's all I have to work with at this moment. If you have the 8v needed to supply the display and PLL circuit just follow the flow of that 8v suspect everything after you no longer can find that 8v along the path it's either an open or a short Electrolytic maybe. Follow the yellow brick roads that the 8v is supposed to be delivered on.
Hey Oldtech, always nice to hear from you. You are right with your assumptions. I'm going to start making my down the 8v rail starting at the voltage regulator tr40. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks

Reactions: kaos513
I just want to make sure there is no confusion as to which part and which lead to check.

so, you should have 8 volts DC on the middle leg of TR41 which is a 2SA1869 transistor, and i believe it is mounted on the right side of the chassis with the radio upside down and the knobs facing you.

if you do not have 8 volts on this leg, lift it from the board, and check the leg itself.
is there 8 volts on it?

if yes, your problem is on the trace on the board.
if not, your voltage regulator is probably bad and needs to be replaced.
an NTE153 will work just fine here if you can't find the original part.
LC

LC,
I have a around 9 volts showing at the middle leg of tr41 that is mounted against the chassis. 13.8 on the other two pins. Thank you

LC,
I have a around 9 volts showing at the middle leg of tr41 that is mounted against the chassis. 13.8 on the other two pins. Thank you

Ok if you have that at TR41 then you should have the same at TR36's Emitter this is the path you should look at the following and make sure these all show the proper voltages as well.

Emitter of TR36
Pin 8 of IC10
Pin 1 of IC5 PLL chip
Pin 8 of IC4

Reactions: kaos513 and Mk121
Oldtech,
That makes sense I just needed a little guidance.
will get to it later today and let you know what I find.

i just want to check to make sure i understand you correctly.

you measured about 9 volts on the middle leg of TR41. Was that with the leg connected to the PC board or lifted?

the reason i ask is because the collector (middle leg) of TR41 is directly connected to the emitter (left leg with transistor facing you) of TR36, meaning that if you have 8 volts on the collector of TR41, you will also have it on the emitter leg of TR36.

now, if you lifted the leg of TR41, found the 8 volts on the middle leg, and then soldered it back to the board, went to TR36 emitter, and found nothing there, you might have a shorted TR36.

you can use this info for your connex which will give you IC and transistor voltage charts and good schematics:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx33hml/index.htm

LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.