• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 4300 300 issue please help

Barcode

Feb 17, 2016
I have a Connex 4300 300 radio It works fine for about 15 to 30 minutes and then it gains a static sound Almost like you’re riding in a vehicle with the windows down in the background when I key up it only does it after it warms up or is on for 15 to 30 minutes I’ve spent a ton of money on this radio with no fix it with the local Cb Shop please someone help

First thing I would do is bypass the echo board. Can't remember the exact type plugs on that model's echo board, but three short bare wires the same diameter as the circuit-board pins can be used to connect the 3-pin input plug directly to the 3-pin output plug.

Your noise problem could be coming from somewhere else in the radio, but this would settle the question.

First thing I would do is bypass the echo board. Can't remember the exact type plugs on that model's echo board, but three short bare wires the same diameter as the circuit-board pins can be used to connect the 3-pin input plug directly to the 3-pin output plug.

Your noise problem could be coming from somewhere else in the radio, but this would settle the question.

I will try this asap and see and let you know

Had another thought. If the echo board isn't the cause, find a spare radio that has FM you can use to listen to the noise from the 4300. Switch the receiver from AM to FM while the Connex is keyed. If the noises are louder on FM, this could be important. It would point towards the radio's PLL section, rather than other parts of the radio.

When the squelch is turned up (when you first power on the radio) is that when you don't have that noise? Then - does the noise appear when the squelch is set - then during operation, this noise breaks the squelch?

How about the PA system - see if it still does this in PA mode.

(trying to figure out if you have an open line / bad cap somewhere)

Have to find where the noise enters into the system for you to hear it - then we backtrack to locate the source of the noise...

When the squelch is turned up (when you first power on the radio) is that when you don't have that noise? Then - does the noise appear when the squelch is set - then during operation, this noise breaks the squelch?

How about the PA system - see if it still does this in PA mode.

(trying to figure out if you have an open line / bad cap somewhere)

Have to find where the noise enters into the system for you to hear it - then we backtrack to locate the source of the noise...
The noise is there no matter where the squelch is set just to clarify it’s in the tx we may be on the same page I haven’t tried the pa but I will try that this evening if time allows it’s one of them things I really want to find but work has had me since I posted wide open and haven’t had the time to sit down with the radio just yet but I plan to before the weekend juggling work church and a hobby gets wide open sometimes

There are several other things that inject into the Audio line before it goes to the Audio Amp - so this may be a bad / open component you have to track down.

Nomad mentioned ECHO board, and as the example, does apply (it's applied AFTGER) AFTER the Receive Audio is amplified by the Receiver Amp and Volume control.

So, if you have no control over the noise - then the noise itself is being made in-between the volume and Squelch control - and the Audio Amp - you have all that extra stuff in-between the two sections - it's difficult but it might be one of those radios that turns into a Hit-Or-Miss types to tame the noise.

So try gently tapping areas around the audio amp to see if the noise changes - if it does, that area you're tapping or touching - is affected - so if touching the area makes the noise change - more than likely it's a bad cap or a poor mounting of the part - meaning - verify the Audio Amp is properly mounted and the heat sink/spacer is properly positioned.

Much of time the problem is poor assembly - even the front panel controls are suspect - including the CB/PA (AM/FM/PA) not properly isolating each pole from itself - it could be the FM mode creeping in.

Reactions: Barcode
Had another thought. If the echo board isn't the cause, find a spare radio that has FM you can use to listen to the noise from the 4300. Switch the receiver from AM to FM while the Connex is keyed. If the noises are louder on FM, this could be important. It would point towards the radio's PLL section, rather than other parts of the radio.

Ok it’s not present on Fm at least not on my talkback gonna check the echo board soon

There are several other things that inject into the Audio line before it goes to the Audio Amp - so this may be a bad / open component you have to track down.

Nomad mentioned ECHO board, and as the example, does apply (it's applied AFTGER) AFTER the Receive Audio is amplified by the Receiver Amp and Volume control.

So, if you have no control over the noise - then the noise itself is being made in-between the volume and Squelch control - and the Audio Amp - you have all that extra stuff in-between the two sections - it's difficult but it might be one of those radios that turns into a Hit-Or-Miss types to tame the noise.

So try gently tapping areas around the audio amp to see if the noise changes - if it does, that area you're tapping or touching - is affected - so if touching the area makes the noise change - more than likely it's a bad cap or a poor mounting of the part - meaning - verify the Audio Amp is properly mounted and the heat sink/spacer is properly positioned.

Much of time the problem is poor assembly - even the front panel controls are suspect - including the CB/PA (AM/FM/PA) not properly isolating each pole from itself - it could be the FM mode creeping in.
I do find a resemblance tho between the receive static on Fm and the noise I get when I key up on am it’s not exact but similar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.