• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex Saturn CX-33 SSB

Larry A McClanahan

Jun 19, 2018
I understand that the schematics for the Galaxy 99v is the same as the Connex Saturn CX - 33. However, what is not correct is that the cx33 uses mosfets in it's RF section. I need the schematics for the actual Connex Saturn CX - 3 3. Anyone can help, please let me know.

The main circuit-board number is your only link to useful data that I know.

I have some notes from 2010 and 2011 when it was being sold, mostly to remind me that it can't be unlocked from 10 meters without the dongle plugged into the channel-selector board. It doesn't say which main pc board was found in the radio, though.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
If ever there was a service manual printed for this radio, I have not heard of it.

Would be nice.

The main circuit board in that radio is the latest (more or less) version of the RCI-made "3600" series. Oldest version dates back to the 1980s.

The "15" tells us that it was designed for MOSFET final/driver transistors, not just adapted from the old design. And the speaker-amplifier chip is a 5-pin TDA2003 chip, not the 10-pin TA7222P they used for decades.

Just one problem. The only radio data I can find on line with this circuit board is the Connex 4400. It's an AM/FM-only model, and has blank space where all the SSB components would go. Not too helpful.

But that's the closest I came at CB Tricks. Looked at Ranger's download site http://www.rangerusa.com/downloads.html

But no joy there.

That model is pretty unique. The two 4008 chips that normally select the band on that circuit board are missing. The channel selector/display board has a computer chip to take the place of the old diode-switching band select circuit. Should be more reliable.

Should be.

But I have never seen that setup in any other model, so be nice to it. I prefer the old-style selector that takes 40 clicks to go around one turn of the knob. Computer-operated channel selector/display radios use a rotary encoder that feeds up and down commands to the chip. They just don't have the same feel.

Hadn't realized that our library had such a big hole in it as this. There haven't been a lot of SSB radios sold with the "15C" main board, but we don't service data for any of them on file.

Darn!

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I just wonder why they discontinued it

Probably because they didn't have the money for another container load.

That kind of product either fills up the whole container, or shares space with other products. The only thing that gets a new radio from the other side of the planet to your neighborhood is financing. All the rest is just details.

Why was a product "discontinued"?

Lack of funds, most often.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?