• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Contex 150 amplifier?

Straightshooter58

Dec 9, 2015
Rockwall County, Texas
Getting back into radio..out for 30+ years. A old Ham Friend offered me a older Contex 150 from Biggs Electronics. Had to get into his attic to find it,in all the dirt and cobwebs.. its pretty ruff and covered with dirt and grime! Is it worth saving..was it any good? Any/All info on this amp would be helpful! Thank You.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Contex%20150-2a.jpg

Contact cleaners can have Toluene or similar type degreaser...They eat Plastic and are generally conductive.
Tubes I like denatured alcohol lightly applied with soft cloth. Care to not get around the tube base as there is Glue resin that hold them together.
For chassis I use a mild solution of Simple Green and low pressure from garden hose (remove tubes). I use a soft paint brush as a scrubber.
Then rinse, blow excess moisture away with 15-20 lbs. of compressed air and a small nozzle.
Then leave to dry warm sunny day...then inside for several days or week before ever putting power on it.
My 2 cents
All the Best
Gary

PS: Mild solution of Dawn and warm water and old white T-shirt rag works on smoke scum...same above rinse, blow dry leave it alone for week.
Also if transformer is not sealed(looks like paper around the windings) I cover those with a coffee can when cleaning and just ripe those down...Try not to get them soaking wet!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'll use your ideas on cleaning the amp. I did not realize that electrical contact cleaner ate plastic parts..and due to the age of the amp..I want to play it safe!
Once I get it cleaned up better than it is now.. I'll take it to a tech to have him check it over before I plug it in or anything into it! Thanks Again.Respects.David.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?