• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

conversion

Pretty much any and all dealers do. Just present a copy of your MARS ticket and they will do it for you. :D Although manufactures continue to call it the MARS/CAP mod AFAIK no modern amateur radio equipment with the possibility of a few very high end models is compliant to the MARS regulations and do NOT meet spec. None of them meet CAP spec so the old "MARS" mod is usually an excuse to convert it too 11m.................

Unless of course you mean convert it to 11m in which case just come out and say it and then it's a case of some will and some won't. Ask and see what they say. :pop:

I actually asked this question of a several retailers some years ago when I was in MARS training with an NNN0 call. They would/could not do a MARS conversion for several reasons but one was that it would void the new radios warranty. The other mentioned was the 11m thing.

I did have to fax my MARS authorization to Kenwood at the time to get the MARS conversion TSB for the TS-2000. That''s the only way they would send it to me. Once the radio was on the market for a while you could find the mod on the net without contacting Kenwood.

Agreed. Pretty much any radio older than about six months has the mod online somewhere. They are pretty simple to do. Usually just remove a diode or bridge a solder pad. Pretty basic.

OK, thanks for answers, just curious, I had my YAESU done years ago at BURGHARDT, didn't take long, use it for ARMY MARS all the time.
DOCTOR/795

Most store catalogs back in the day had a little snippet about MARS/CAP requirements.

The big 3 used to get weird about warranty repairs if'n the mod was not "officially" performed. Now, I don't think any of them care when a modded rig comes in for warranty work. If they discover a problem that was the end result of a hack mod job, then the repair bill is yours.

Universal Radio used to be real anal about this, but now they have chilled. They will even buy and take trades on modded rigs now. They used to deduct the cost of their quote on your trade for their repair goons to return it to stock. If it couldn't be, they would pass on the radio.

True. I remember several years ago Yaesu (and maybe others) issued a notice stating that the MARS mod would NOT void the warranty unless it was a hack job that did other things to the radio. Back then it was just a simple snip of an exposed lead of a diode so it was pretty hard to screw up. Nowadays with the SMD stuff you need to be a little easy with a solder iron but if you have good solder skills it is still easy.

I know the local HRO will do it for you if you show them your MARS license. The conversation with a new trainee is pretty funny and usually goes like this:

Trainee: I just joined MARS, can you mod my radio for me?
HRO: Yes, but you need to show us your MARS license.
Trainee: I don't get a MARS license until I complete the training program.
HRO: Well then come back when you complete the training and have your license.
Trainee: Most of the training is "on-air", so how can i do the training if I can't get on the the air?
HRO: That's not our problem. Our policy is that you need to show us your license to mod the radio.
Trainee: What if I have the State Director or Training Assistant Director send you a letter stating that I'm a MARS Trainee?
HRO: We'll accept that instead of a license.
(later that day)
Trainee: Mr. Training Director, can you send a letter (etc.)
Training Director: Here's a link to worldwidedx.com where you can find the mod to just do it yourself or get a friend to do it for you if you can't.
Trainee: Wow, you can find anything on the internet these days...

:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.