• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Converted 10 Meter Radios!

Dwall174

Nov 10, 2006
Can someone explain to me what’s done to the 10 Meter radios when there converted to transmit on the 11 Meter channels?

I was lead to believe that once converted it was just a glorified CB with higher power & it would no longer transmit on the 10 Meter band!

Are there different types of mods. that can be done to prevent the use on channels above 28,000 MHz? I don’t really care about having all those extra channels & I only use the regular 40 CB channels, But I would like to have the extra power if needed!

"I was lead to believe that once converted it was just a glorified CB with higher power & it would no longer transmit on the 10 Meter band!"

That is true. Exports like Galaxy, Ranger and Connex just to name a few are sold as 10 ham radios. Even though i don't know of any one who uses one as such.
When one is converted most of the time it is a wire that you un hook or something inside the radio that you unplug from one location and plug into another. Then you must do a complete alignment of the radio for it to work properly.

"Are there different types of mods. that can be done to prevent the use on channels above 28,000 MHz? I don’t really care about having all those extra channels & I only use the regular 40 CB channels,"

Not really you just have to exercise a little self control and not turn the band selector ;)

yeap ,it's simply a easier way to get more power and a lot more channels concering cb , (You mean to tell me Hams really use those radios? Hmm ) Oh yeah , they also become very illegal on the 11 meter band. )-: I do believe FCC makes more arrests and or fines on those types of radios then they do amplifiers. go figure huh ? Here's one for the Hammers' at large , now a days a lot of trucking companies will not allow there drivers using these types of radios let alone amplifiers , from what i understand is that , you can have one in your truck as long as you have a licence (Ham) in your pocket for it but it can still be risky for some , remember , if they are converted ,they could still get you in trouble )-: I've met a lot of truckers in my time (especially these time) that don't own there own rigs and work for companies , and I would have to say that 9 out of 10 of them only run tuned up cb radios , the ones that own there own rigs ,well ......that's usually a different story. That would be a interesting question ? I wonder how many own there own rigs compared to those that work for the companies within the USA ? You would be surprised how many truckers simply use a cb radio to get on down the road and for help reasons , or a chit chat with others within a few mile range.......but what can say here , they still like to blame on the dudes that bring us our food and clothes and all the other wham wham's and zoo zoo's that we all would find it hard to live without. go figure huh ? Peace

Most of the Export radios
are better then a typical CB

Many like the ease of getting extra channels (for freebanding)
as well as more power (anywhere from 10 watts am to 150 SSB)

usally have a better recieve then typical CB
Usally more audio as well

once you open the extra channels you still have access to listen and or talk on the original 10 meter channels it came with
(be sure to stay below 28 mhz if you are not licenced for there)

Depending on the radio
it may have several types of modes
from a quick jumper removed or attached
or other ajustments to bring the frequencys even higher / lower
to tuning and peaking

usally the Export radios have both superior AM and SSB
whether used for skip and or easier local use

Reactions: eddiecougar
Here is an explanation from a well known, now closed, online dealer,,,,,,,,,,

What is an Export Radio?

We are often asked to explain the difference between a CB Radio and an Export Radio. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on the subject, but there really shouldn't be. The simple version is "Export Radios are Big radios", but technically there is a little more to it. An export radio by definition is a radio that is intended to be exported. We sell thousands of radios all over the world, but we do sell radios in the United States and Canada as well. These radios are actually "International Band" radios. Meaning they are not the 10 meter amateur radio as they are labeled for domestic sales by other companies. For radio manufacturers to make business more profitable, and to make it possible for you the consumer to have a better product, make the same radio in different configurations. You may get the same radio in the USA as someone in Europe, but you may have different bands of channels activated in the radio. Technically the radio can, and will, function quite effectively on all the bands; it is the nature of their design. Either it is a 3, 6, 8, or 12 Band radio usually. Each band consisting of 40 channels.

But everyone uses them, is it legal?

In America , and Canada, many retailers sell the Galaxy, Ranger, Connex, and President radios in their 10 meter configuration. It is required by FCC regulations that you have a license to transmit on these frequencies. Although you can legally receive on these channels with any portable scanner, so we assume it would also be legal to receive these amateur radio channels with a radio. We have not as of yet figured out the ambiguous terminology used in the FCC regulations, nor has any one of our lawyers found any case-law to support the issue. Reception appears to be legal no matter how you do it. Radios in their 10 meter configuration are often a lot cheaper than their "International Band" (export version) counter parts. Copper Electronics, Thomas Distributing, and many other online retailers sell 10 meter amateur radios. These radios they sell can not be used on the CB channels, they must be converted back to their original export version condition to work on all the bands again. Some are made intentionally so they can not be converted to full-band use. Some of these companies try to sell you a How-to instructional video tape so you can do the tricks yourself. Realistically, it can be done on some radios by an amateur, some radios are easy. Some require many hours of work by a skilled technician. We sell over 200 different radios, they all require different conversion techniques. Many good radios have been destroyed by amateur conversions. To make matters even more complicated, each manufacturer will constantly their designs, so your how-to book may actually be well out of date even if it's brand new.

So how can I buy a radio already converted, and is it legal?

It's easy to buy a radio already converted, all you have to do is buy an export radio from an export radio company. We sell the radios to customers all over the world. Most of our customers use their radios quite legally from Panama, to New Zealand, and all over the planet. Most of the planet does not regulate the airwaves, but the United States and Canada do just that. Although we do operate in Europe, we do our primary shipping out of the United States. As an international export company we are under a different section of the US regulations than some of the other companies selling similar equipment on the Internet. We can sell you an international band unit that has channel coverage from 24 to 32 MHz. That includes Citizens Band (11 meter), the Amateur Bands (10 and 12 meter), and then some. To legally operate the unit in the United States, or Canada, you must have an amateur radio license and follow the regulations for the use of such equipment. Each country has it's own communications laws, we do not pretend to know them all. We have shipped radios into almost every country on Earth. We have no intentions of pursuing the ever changing legal systems of the world. We will sell you the best equipment money can buy, but it is your job to make sure you use it legally. We will not return e-mail concerning legal issues. It is no more likely that we may know if the Iraqi government allows the use of such equipment, any more so than it is likely that we may know what President Clinton's tie color will be tomorrow.

So why buy an Export Radio?

An Export Radio is designed to be sold globally. They are in a much more competitive market than a Cobra CB radio is. To be competitive in the world's communications markets the manufacturers are forced to turn out a higher quality product, with more features, and usually a better warranty than a domestic CB Radio manufacturer. For the same money you would spend on a Cobra 148 Night Watch Sound Tracker, you can buy a Connex 3300. The Connex will talk circles around the Cobra, and will live another ten years after the Cobra falls apart. No domestic CB will have Echo/Reverb, it is against FCC regulations to alter your voice on the citizen band. Almost all the export radios come with a factory installed echo/reverb. The receive circuit in an export radio is on average 10 times the incoming signal processor a CB unit is. And since an export radio has no governing body to determine how many watts it should do, they do significantly more than the CB limit of 4 watts. Some do as much as 300 watts, or more. Basically you get a lot more for your money in an export radio, and have all the feature preinstalled that you would have had to add extra to a Cobra 29LTD later. If you are serious about quality radio equipment, then there is no other choice.

So the question should be "why not buy an export radio"?

So why do you still sell CB Radios, instead of all export radios?

We often wonder that ourselves, but we really do not have a good answer. Basically as long as people request the radios we will have to sell them. It's hard to convince some people that a Cobra radio isn't the radio it used to be. Cobra was actually manufactured by Uniden at one point, then they were good radios. Now we do not really have anything nice to say about a Cobra radio. If you have to buy a regular domestic CB (and we don't know why you would), try to buy a Uniden. Maxon, Realistic, and most Midlands are "economy" units (cheap). Or, there are some new Galaxy and Texas Ranger radios that only have 40 Channels, but are actually cleverly disguised export radios. All the power is there, just no extra channels. Please do not ask us what we can do for them, and do not send them to us for repair. We need to charge a disposal fee for all Maxon and Realistic radio sent to our company for upgrades. We do not service them, we throw them away. With all due respect to the manufacturers, these units are made cheap so they can be sold cheap. You can't expect a quality transceiver for $49.99.

Thanks everyone for all the info!
I think I’m going to just stay with a regular style CB, Probably going to go with a Galaxy 949 & have it modified for the dual finals.

Thanks again!

Doing that will get you 10 more watts of peak power if your lucky, and your "cb set" will become just as illegal as an export radio.

Butcher318 said:
Doing that will get you 10 more watts of peak power if your lucky
If I add this Mod. I was told that I could get anywhere from 35~45 watts pep out of the unit! These finals are conservatively rated at 25 watts pep each & are quite often turned up to 40 watts pep.
Butcher318 said:
your "cb set" will become just as illegal as an export radio.
I’m not to worried about having a regular CB radio that has illegal power! I currently have a Uniden PC 78 that’s putting out around 18 watts & I have never had any problems with the DOT or FCC.

DWALL did you not ask this same question on another forum? if not sorry.
I would not do the dual conversion simply because for the money it's most likely not worth it. If you want a dual final radio buy a dual final radio. It will already be set up with the proper heat sinks ect. jmho.
Put your money into a antenna system instead and buy a small amp.

todt061458 said:
DWALL did you not ask this same question on another forum?
If your referring to Truck Net yes that was me also! Being that is a Trucking Forum I wanted to see what other truckers suggested. I also posted here because I wanted to see what the Amateur Radio People thought!
todt061458 said:
Put your money into a antenna system instead
I’m planning to get a new Antenna System also. I have several posts over on Truck Net regarding antennas also just incase your curious.

I wouldn't buy a Galaxy CB for nothing. If you want a great talking solid radio, get yourself a Uniden PC78, have a good tech do a 2sc1969 final and or NPC mod. You will have a killer talking radio with much better RX, adjacent channel rejection etc., than any Galaxy CB. They don't have the fancy do dads but they are a bullit proof radio that will last. I ran a PC76 for 10+ years, abused the hell out of it, and got more flowers on it than any Export I have ever owned, I have had most of them, it finally died when the roof of my trucked leaked water into the radio and smoked it.

AA1QD said:
I wouldn't buy a Galaxy CB for nothing. If you want a great talking solid radio, get yourself a Uniden PC78, have a good tech do a 2sc1969 final and or NPC mod. You will have a killer talking radio with much better RX, adjacent channel rejection etc., than any Galaxy CB. They don't have the fancy do dads but they are a bullit proof radio that will last. I ran a PC76 for 10+ years, abused the hell out of it, and got more flowers on it than any Export I have ever owned, I have had most of them, it finally died when the roof of my trucked leaked water into the radio and smoked it.

agrees :) if you want an AM only radio only talk on AM an only the regular 40 get a uniden. not sure about hte mods mentioned but either way Uniden is the best.

now if you want more than 40 and SSB get a RangerDX radio.
want echo buy a mic with echo.

for either of those type radios. those are the Escalade of the radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.