1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Cool radio and cool origin

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Big Kahuna, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Picked this up yesterday.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I asked the guy - are you the original owner, and he said yeah I used to work there. Turns out he used to test and build the units. The frequency counter was one he built that was never released he thinks. I’m going to try to get more information from him and document it if possible. Would love to get some stories and behind the scenes insight into the factory.

23 channel but had the mods for extra frequencies.

crazy thing is the power microphone - it’s a old turner 70 which woody and I had just been discussing in another thread! Turner did a CPI version.

#1 Big Kahuna, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

There’s something I’d never expect to see, much less get a chance to own. Congratulations!

Handy Andy and Eldorado828 like this.
  3. twa77

twa77 Well-Known Member

Looks cool. Love to hear it on ssb

Handy Andy, codeman and Eldorado828 like this.
  4. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Has that cool industrial look to it, good find!

Handy Andy, codeman and Eldorado828 like this.
  5. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Looks very 2001 Spade Odyssey!!

Handy Andy and Eldorado828 like this.
  6. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

Nice! Get any documentation from him you can, it's probably the last chance for most of it.

Handy Andy and Slowmover like this.
  7. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

See the Vintage CB ads thread.

Handy Andy likes this.
  8. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

I emailed him today - hoping I can do an interview with him. Made some contacts to Cali with it today. Not much output (5-7 watts PEP on both AM and SSB) but the stock microphone is a bit lacking in gain on the lows. Audio sounded nice though on the SDR but I'm really excited to test out the Turner Road King 70 version on it but have to wait for the 7.5V battery I just ordered.

I have to say switching between this and a Uniden 980 the CP300 has a really nice sound to it, super crisp and less static - the external speaker in the base power supply is really booming, barely have to turn up the volume.

The two knob channel switching is more intuitive than you'd expect. I can go to 27.555 or 27.025 really easily. In many ways it's almost easier than a 40 channel single knob because you don't have to flip through a ton of channels.

S&W357 and Handy Andy like this.
  9. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Awesome radio, two channel knobs like that Palomar. I wonder how much they have in common?

S&W357 and Handy Andy like this.
  10. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

I believe I have a pulse generator from same company wonder if he built that also

11. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

CPI built the Palomar DigiCom 100. So they probably share a component or two.

12. tramd

tramd Active Member

Here's a schematic for the 60.

Attached Files:

13. tramd

tramd Active Member

Here's some info on the 300. Also if the radio has a green dot on the TA sticker on the back it was modified at the factory for improvements for the noise blanker, ambient noise level and modulation warble on SSB.

Attached Files:

#13 tramd, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.
  14. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

CPI was the top of the mound back in the good old.days.

Slowmover likes this.
  15. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

And, they don’t make them liked they used to: 7-lbs, according to that spec sheet.

S&W357 likes this.