• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cool Trucks

Thing about those old engines is you can tune them to do what you need. The new vehicles have a factory computerized tune that is optimized to meet some arbitrary spec, and you cannot legally change it. And since the fedgov is now going after manufacturers that maker tune kits and shops that install them, it's getting so you cannot change it; legally or not.
Back in the '80s, Hot Rod Magazine set out to prove that you actually can have both performance and fuel economy and do it in a non-aerodynamic vehicle. So they built a small block Chevy V8 with a mild performance cam, 4 barrel carb, etc. and mated it to an automatic transmission; then stuffed it in a 1938 Chevy 4-door sedan. They gave the engine a really good tune and tested it. The result? 25 mpg in normal driving, and it would run the quarter in the 13s in street trim!
Exactly!!! My 350 was built for torque(being in a truck) 4 barrel carb and no emissions of any kind. One time I went to the quarry to get some navyjack gravel and was able to bring home 2.1 tons in the box (driving accordingly; no sudden stops, no lugging, and shifting properly). All that and somewhat good fuel economy. It also helps a lot, in some situations, to have a manual transmissions (some things are impossible to do with an automatic). Regarding the new vehicles I totally agree with what you said. They only sold new vehicles by luring people in with the fuel economy b.s., but “forgot” to mention the $$$$$$ that is needed for repairs(and now the $ saved in fuel, marginal anyway, is gone)!Old school rocks, for everything nowadays!

Reactions: WECSOG and Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.