• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

copper accused of shady business dealings.

It's a shame

Any other retailer would have been dropped by the manufactures.

They sell so many radios that it would be suicide for the makers to drop them. I talked with a current warranty tech whom used to work for Cobra back when they were dynascan. He claimed they disliked Copper because of their shady practices, but couldn't drop them because of the shear volume of radios they ordered.

Galaxy and Ranger still get many unnecessary warranty returns cause of the monkeys at Copper that turn everything up in these rigs with their lame peak & tunes.

As long as they have the lowest prices on their shit, they will always attract the tight assed crowd. Thus, the rip-off cycle continues.

Yup, so many suckers think they are saving 20 or 30 bucks. I view them as a necessary evil............... we all have bought something from them and hold our breath until everything is ok. And never never never let them tune your radio....lol.....like they actually have a radio tech anyway.

Any other retailer would have been dropped by the manufactures.

are the manufacturers any less scrupulous in their bending and twisting of laws?

They sell so many radios that it would be suicide for the makers to drop them.

money talks, much louder than any radio.

I talked with a current warranty tech whom used to work for Cobra back when they were dynascan. He claimed they disliked Copper because of their shady practices, but couldn't drop them because of the shear volume of radios they ordered.

dynascan didn't have any shady practices like ? ask them how their name got on cobra 148 gtl dx radios, they will deny it was theirs point blank and have done so for decades.
Galaxy and Ranger still get many unnecessary warranty returns cause of the monkeys at Copper that turn everything up in these rigs with their lame peak & tunes.

i'm sure they get plenty from elsewhere too.

As long as they have the lowest prices on their shit, they will always attract the tight assed crowd. Thus, the rip-off cycle continues.

sadly the way of the capitalist world.

Reactions: IMD262
are the manufacturers any less scrupulous in their bending and twisting of laws?

money talks, much louder than any radio.

dynascan didn't have any shady practices like ? ask them how their name got on cobra 148 gtl dx radios, they will deny it was theirs point blank and have done so for decades.

i'm sure they get plenty from elsewhere too.

sadly the way of the capitalist world.

You are correct...

But, were talking about Copper.

You are correct...

But, were talking about Copper.

i realise that, i was merely pointing out the tech who worked for dynascan's hypocrisy when it comes to shady practices. they weren't exactly 100% legit themselves.

i know little about copper, except they will ship to just about anywhere in the planet as i've seen umpteen of their catalogues in my city glasgow over the years.

another thing you have to take into account is companies who sell huge amounts will also have a higher level of complaints, i ain't saying copper don't have shady practices, i have never dealt with them, but i am saying i've yet to see a radio shop yet that doesn't, be it in the UK or US of A.

another thing you also have to take into account is the proportion of returns that are actually customer generated despite their denials. some right f@cking idiots buy radios, as i'm sure your aware if you've spent any amount of time on air or on radio forums.

OK Kids, Now follow the bouncing ball.

I have never bought from Copper, But i did buy from H&Y small stuff.

Kids? LMAO

I haven't purchased anything from Copper in at least 25 years if not longer. I won't purchase from H&Y either...not even a PL259 or mic plug. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't give them the opportunity for that second sentence to transpire. ;)

I guess it might depend what one buys from Copper. I bought a beam from them last year.
It wasn't a refurb.

If they are selling anything refurbished; then they are bound by business law to disclose it as such. If they are going to sell a refurb; are they going to extend a warranty with it? So by law, they must say that it is a refurb and not a new item. If they are going to extend a warranty on that refurb; that is up to them if they do so. Either way, they have a legal obligation to be honest in their business dealings. They have been into selling radio equipment for quite some time. I think that once you found out it was a refurb, that you should have sought a refund after returning the item. Or compensation for the price. One or the other will do.

If no one signs a complaint against them for what they are doing; then no one can complain with results from here. The expression 'pissing in the wind' comes to mind. Complaining here leads nowhere. Complaining to the local law or the Feds will get results. It is in Copper's best interest to come clean.

Anyone that has a bonafide grievance (have the documentation of the sale and can verify it as the same item from that sale, as well as PayPal/credit card/money order info and the item advertizement) with Copper should sign a legal complaint with local law enforcement and then the process of change can begin. Copper may also be approached by the Feds - if you want to make the complaint there first. When a sale is made and the US Mail is used to complete the transaction; then it might be considered mail fraud.

Since the transaction took place from where you live, then that crime is a local law enforcement matter. Probably get by faster by talking with the Feds; or talk to Copper first and ask them to make good on the deal and explain that they may well be in legal hot water. Of course, you don't have to talk to Copper. But you might get things resolved faster with the 'carrot' offered first before the 'stick' becomes the only remedy.

Consumer rights have a great deal of sway.

Where is Shioda?
I would like to hear what he might say here; as he is an attorney and his opinion would verify/clarify my statements . . .

Last edited:
If they are interested in following the law, then they'd quit selling them thar illegal radios and linears.

They get around that by calling them '10m amps' - which they can legally do. The mfr of these amps build/call them as such. Don't know if these amps are in compliance with FCC regs; but that is a horse of another color.

Lol,

They initially sell them as CW transmitters, but they leave the building illegally modified.

From reading this thread I feel safe in proclaiming Copper an official "shady" business.

Personally, I have no problem with buying a refurb.
So long as it is cheaper than the original and if they give it a real warranty, I consider it a bargain.

No warranty; no transaction.
That would be fair business.

About the only really negative thing I will say is that Copper's forum is just like Bozo's forum.

You question anything Copper's has said or done and you are gone.

You question anything Radiohactive has said or done and you are gone.

That just tells me as a consumer and potential customer that someone is hiding something.

They get around that by calling them '10m amps' - which they can legally do. The mfr of these amps build/call them as such. Don't know if these amps are in compliance with FCC regs; but that is a horse of another color.

Calling them "10m amps" would be outside the law as well, the FCC will not certify an amplifier that will transmit in the 24-35 MHz range.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.