• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Could This Guy Be Electrocuted?

I wouldn't even consider touching a tube that has an electrode on its top.

But if you look at that video above carefully, one can see that it is a guitar/bass amplifier 'head' or 'top'. Those guitar amps don't have any tubes that use an electrode on top, just a cap and spring to hold them into place as the amps are being carted from gig to gig. Its just to keep these tubes from working loose and falling out due to the tremendous sound vibrations.

Just thought one might want to re-examine that video. You can see the words 'Speaker Out' on the back of that chassis. Tubes look like 6L6GC's or EL34's; prolly 6L6GC's . . . Yup . . .

Last edited:
My father was a radio and TV repairman for many years and years before I was born. He received his first training in electronics from the US Army in WWII and was stationed as a radar technician and operator in Florida. After the end of the war he started repairing radio receivers and when TV started to take hold in the late 40s he was ready! As I was growing up electronics were every where around the house and I suppose I cut my teeth on tubes, capacitors and ozone was in the air! :blink:
Never had a real desire to "dig" into electronics but I did enjoy short wave since the late 60s! My interest was piqued in the late 70s with the CB boom and then into HAM radio and kit bashing opened the door for more electronics. I did goof with some early repairs of TVs but was very aware the the voltages and amps present with vacuum tubes and CRTs Even with solid state TVs that had a vacuum picture tube could have high voltages! 3200 DC pulse volts is no fun off of a TV flyback! Leave holes in your skin!! *Don`t do it*
I have a deep respect for vacuum tubes and their cousins, even a small HAM amp can kill with a slight touch in the wrong area! My Yaesu FT101EE has lethal voltages and amps with the finals! I have several audio amps, Eico HF-20 and Hammond organ amps, I know better than to stick my hand in when they are on! ^^ ab v c^^
My dad always said to keep your left hand behind your back so there is no path to your heart! I just do not play with "killer" electrons! :p

73 mechanic

Reactions: 1 person
That video was disturbing. Now I didn't watch it with any sound on, but after what I saw, I didn't need to. People who do that sort of thing to their gear and tubes (whether it's RF or audio) are just plain stupid and shouldn't be owning such things. For obvious reasons.

~Cheers~

So your saying its safe to touch the tubes inside a amp when its running?

If you KNOW what you're doing and THINK the process through, you probably won't get hurt. In this specific case, the guy's in more danger of getting a thermal burn from the hot envelope of the tube than in getting a shock.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.