• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Could this scanner antenna be a ham antenna ?

Not really sure on that one.Would need to drop by a store and ask someone.

I personally havent seen any ham radio gear of any type...radios and transmitting antennas... in several years around my area,unless they had one sitting on a top shelf gathering dust...really should give em a call and ask

I'd put an analyzer on it first for sure...and I wouldn't bet on it.

A dual-band 2m/440 antenna is easy to find and not a lot of money, I'd just buy one of them...they'll do fine for general scanner use anyway. I ran 2m/440 whips on my scanners long before I was a ham. That would be the better way to go.

Amateur Mobile Antennas

the reason that i asked was i had it for the scanner and was thinking if i could use it to talk on it or it would be better just to listen on it and not hit the power to it ?

A scanner antenna is, by definition, a receiving antenna (scanners don't transmit). Therefore, the manufacturer designs and builds them without high voltage insulation and other considerations that a transmitting antenna requires. As suggested earlier, try it with very low power and see if it works (paying attention to the dimensions and how they correlate to wavelength and frequency), or use an antenna analyzer like the MFJ-259/269 to see what you get that way.

Either way, I'd be careful at any power level above a very few watts.

It will work fine on 2m and 70cm...

I've used this antenna, same stock number, before... In the actual product instructions that come with the unit it states you may use it on 144-148 MHz and 440MHz UP TO 25 watts.

Unfortunately, it would appear one cannot download the actual owner's manual from Radio Shack product support at this time.

I have used it on these two bands without incident, following the recommended power maximums.

The magnet is not-so-strong, however, so make sure you affix it to a good piece of steel and keep it under 80 mph.

And for those who just bad mouth radio shack for bad-mouthin's sake, please examine the country of origin of most of your beloved ham radio products... Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China. Same place this antenna is made, amigos.

BUTTFUZZ Thanks . All I am going to run is 5 watts and VX-8R should be in Monday according to UPS and my license well maybe next friday on the database .

BUTTFUZZ Thanks . All I am going to run is 5 watts and VX-8R should be in Monday according to UPS and my license well maybe next friday on the database .

Awesome, dude! Welcome to the world of ham radio, "and all that entails".

The VX-8R is one killer radio.

Great work!

Only other thing I'll mention regarding this antenna is that if it is not assembled already, make sure to carefully follow the instructions about the length of the antenna whips, and the little traps (the little thingies that look like small loading coils...) that go between them. If I recall correctly, there is a definite method/order to the way they are assembled.

Get on the air and enjoy...

Rob

I have an older rado shack aluminum groundplane scanner base antenna that Ive ran 45-50 watts through without a problem Ill have to take a picture of it I havent seen one like this in a long time I payed I believe between 60-70 dllars whan I purchased it new it has 3 vertical antannas side by sid at different lengths seperated by a plastic isulater bracket and has 3 4 foot ground radials at the bottom the element or pieces are about the diameter of the end elements on some of my beams here..

Ill try to get a pic I looked at it one day and thought I seen in the instructions it could be transmitted on so I tried and it worked. I would have no problem plugging into it if my other dual band antenna pooped out for whatever reason.

I had the antenna sense Feb and it was not being used and i figured what the heck i might try it and see if it would work before i do that i would ask to see if it is recommended .

I cannot find the antenna I have I actually have only seen one other one like it my buddies dad had one still in the box never used I wanted it and then my buddy says hes gonna use it for his scanner and he never used it I should see if I cant snag it up maybe the model number and name is on the box :confused:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.