• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

courier port-a-lab 500d manual needed

Warbird said:
I can probably hit the high points and get you going with it.

RFS - Relative Field Strength, raise the internal antenna and take readings around your transmitting site to check antenna pattern (nothing needs to be hooked up).

MOD - Modulation - It can only be used while using the internal dummy load and is therefore limited to radios 50 watts and under (the internal dummy load is rated @ 50 watts). Disconnect any external antenna, turn dummy load to ON, hook up radio to TRANS., set SELECT knob to CAL and key the mic, adjust the RF LEVEL knob to 100% modulation, set SELECT knob to MOD and check modulation.

RF POWER - This one can either be used with the internal dummy load or with an antenna attached. Set SELECT to RF POWER and RANGE to one of the wattage levels and read output wattage.

SWR - Make sure the dummy load is OFF, and your antenna is connected set the RANGE to FWD, key the mic and adjust the SWR CAL knob for the highest reading on the SWR scale which is 30. Set RANGE to REV and read the SWR of your antenna.

I think that should about cover it. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

How about the monitor plug on the front? What range/scale is it supposed to be used on? I found a brand new ECI port a lab in the original box on ebay with no paperwork. It's pretty much the spittin twin to the courier.

Ronnie :D

Thanks ....I saw that on ebay a few days ago but passed it by as there is no mention of the 500D model and/or nothing of the Oscope not Monitor port usage. Figured it was just for the lesser model.

That unit was made under many brand names:
E.F Johnson...Lafayette Radio...Courier...Think maybe even Royce or Robyn/Allied Radio had a version...only think the name plate was changed...
It was fairly common in the early 1970's.
I sold quite a few at the shop till mid 70's, and recall the manual was maybe 4 pages.
One page was schematic and calibration info, another was safety info.
The usage info was on SWR/Modulation and power meter usage. They did not want to be responsible for much more info than that due to warrenty liability.
I think it may have been made by Panasonic/Japan (or the contractor for them)
They also made the larger relabel versions of the of the tube radio...Comstat/Gemtronics/Robyn etc transceivers...
I know this helps ZERO but the manual for that tester may show up under many names, but it truly had very little in the way of diagnostic information included.
My 2 Cent's worth
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Yep....I've owned a couple of the standard models many years back but not the 500D (Watt meter also goes to 500 and has a small built in dummy load, aside from the Oscope and Monitor ports).

I can pick up a brand new, in box still, 500D but no manual/schematic.....guess I'll just backwards engineer if I pick this one up....correct papers would be nice...Thanks for the reply

I had 2 versions...EF JOHNSON and Layfette Radio branded...Both were the 500 watt versions.
The Dummy Load was rated I think like 25 carrier(PEP) watts MAX!!! 10 seconds
May have been only 15w...
Seems like I remember.
The O'scope port was nothing more than a coil twisted around the interior coax with a By-pass cap (If my memory recalls)
The paperwork work I think stated something to the point of saying ...
Only use appropriate probe supplied by your specific manufacturer and stated some rating as to the value of the "pick-up" signal via that port!
Again I know this helps ZERO but just trying to remember from that far back.
Maybe someone still has one floating around can help further.
I see those at Hamfests ALL the time for $25-50 USD depending on physical / cosmetic condition.
Seen one still in the BOX last time maybe 2 years ago... vendor wanted like $100 (LAYFETTE VERSION)... it was still there end of day...if that tells you anything.
HNY
All the Best
GARY

Reactions: tecnicoloco
That "manual" has been looked for by many...Those units were sold under so many versions(brands)...You think someone would have save one...But alas...I have seen them sell on EPAY for like $20.00USD...but the whole unit when we sold them was like $49.95 USD Retail...so don't think they (manual) worth that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated