• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cracked amplifier tube

Tweetybird

Jun 23, 2019
What makes a tube crack? Overdrive? I received my fourth broken amp and it has a cracked tube number two (it's a skipper 300 ) no more broken amps till I fix one.

I received my fourth broken amp

Sounds like the cause would be lamebrained packing.

Tubes should be unplugged, wrapped in bubble sheet and packed so they can't move at all when the package is drop-kicked.

Military-rated equipment meant to be used while being shocked or shaken has a clamp of some sort holding down the top of a tube.

CB amplifiers never do.

12-pin tube sockets don't commonly place enough friction on the tube's 12 pins to hold it firmly in the socket. That's the reason for the hold-down clamp in anything built to be mobile. Without that, a tube will almost-certainly be jostled out of its socket in shipment.

Once a tube comes loose and bangs against whatever is close to it, glass will fracture.

Mil-spec glass, too.

I have another 8950 I could try . could be all that's wrong with the amp.its out of the working skipper that's getting recapped.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated