• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Crackling 60hz hum three channels in a row, every 4th channel clear as a bell.

Heres a pic of mine from awhile back, the laptop is alot closer to the radio now because of other crap an RC plane stuff stacked on the other end of the bench. It is pretty much right in frt of the scanner now, mouse on other side....I'm a south paw..(y)

Attachments

• radios 002.JPG
    radios 002.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
I mainly use it for the cb, but once in awhile I use it on the ham radio also. I can't tell that much difference in it an the maco 5/8 I had up other than a little bit more noise on the RX end. Putting the GPK on it got rid of the TVI in the neighbors stereo though.

GPK reducing feedline radition makes happier neighbors.

The folks who use these antennas through a tuner on the ham bands should watch out for irate neighbors.

UPDATE ON INTERFERENCE

Just like in all things,

You think you found the culprit, then everything changes again.
Yes, I did locate the interference from the neighbors underground electrical drop at the pole behind our houses out by the alley.

But three days ago it stopped!

The only things that have changed, is the fact that I took off the long ground cable for my radio off of the Mast's ground rod. But I tried that several times before a month ago & made no difference.

The only other thing that has changed for the last 3 days, is the fact that the woman next door has finally turned off her bug zapper that she has been running night & day. I noticed three days ago that this AC crackling hum had completely stopped.

So the night before last, I looked through her garage window, and the bug zapper was off. Yes, she was running it 24/7 even in the winter, inside her garage. Talk about brains.

Well, all I know, is that the crackling hum is totally gone. I am now leaning to the reason of the noise was due to her bug zapper feeding back EMF out to the pole and through all of her electrical circuits.

It's off now, and there is no noise for the last 3 days and nights.

I've never dismissed the bug zapper because it has never been turned off until now. Now it's off, & the noise is gone.

I still called the electrical company to come out & check the pole anyways.

I will be standing by to keep you updated.

I am not looking forward in her turning it back on. Maybe I'll get lucky & she won't do it until springtime comes.

All I know is that I have never gone this long without this AC interference. I'm convinced my antenna was picking it up. Right now, DX'ing has never been so good!

J.

UPDATE: 02-15-2010

Yep!

Just a little update here. Yes! the neighbor woman's bug zapper is still off! and I'm happy for the moment. I hope it burnt out on her! I just added another photo album of the telephone pole that the interference was also coming from because of her bug zapper being on. That's right! it was "back EMFing" back to the pole.

Check out the pics, There you will find out the real way my radio or (IMAX) was picking up this bug zapper's BS through the air!

WAS NOT THE NEIGHBOR'S BUG ZAPPER - FINAL UPDATE 07-11-10

Hello all, just when you thought you knew what the problem was, time goes by, and yet another mystery solved. For all of you who have read my 100 & something posts on interference, here is the latest results of my findings.

OK GUYS, first, it was not the neighbors bug zapper. She has it on again & no interference 07-11-2010. It was not my AC service to my house. It wasn't anything in my house. It was not the neutral service ground. It was not my Mast's ground. In fact, it was nothing from my property at all.

OK, I know, the suspense is killing everyone.

IT WAS THE NEIGHBORS UNDERGROUND AC DROP. After com-ed came out with their scopes trying to scan the problem, they left. I did not see them for about two months. Then I saw them come back. They tore up a piece of the yard in back of her house & installed a brand new Transformer box for her underground drop.

It has been well over 4 or 5 months now. NO NOISE SINCE. NO NOISE AT ALL. At night, I am getting only 1.5 db or less ground floor noise. They must have found stray AC interference in her underground from the pole. And just like McDonalds says, (I'M LOVIN IT!) :love:

well thats awesome right there. LOL

didnt we say power line transformer a while ago?

you are now in a very elite club of radio hobbyists who actually cured their interference problems. :LOL:
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.