• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Crackling 60hz hum three channels in a row, every 4th channel clear as a bell.

:)

Yes, we did didn't we. But one never knows until the fat neighbor woman sings. LMAO!!!

BTW, turned on my radio tonight & conditions were horrible! The humidity has been so bad here lately you can cut it with a knife. All channels were crackling here & there.

I've never heard it this bad before. But the skies are very dark tonight and there is small heat lightning flashes here & there. I just turned it off.

But I know in the morning all will be good.

Also; can't remember if I told you already or not, but I've made a couple local friends from my area on the radio this week. We talk on 14 mostly. Their both super guys. Feels so good to be able to talk now. It's been a rough whole year for me, but it's all paying off now.

Thanks to you L.C., Doc, Rob, Steven, Marconi, Booty, Cat Driver, Hi-Def, DXman, Fodendof, and all the rest of ya! You're the Greatest! Hope all of you are having a great summer & loving your radios. For me, it's been a long time comin, and this is Cominatyalive and I'm standin by! :pop:

73's

Heh, thanks for the flowers though I did nae contribute a whole lot. I am sympathetic to your plight as I have fairly nasty static on a bad power line near me. I'm not one to complain though so it's mainly close talking only for me 80 miles or so. If you want to see some more improvement you could try backing off the gain as that makes it even easier to listen to.

Last edited:
As far the wireless mouse goes, throw it away and buy one that is not used on 27 Mhz.

I had the same problem with mine, it was coming through many of the 40 ch's, so I replaced it with one that worked in a higher freq range....problem solved!

I've yet to do that yet. I can't believe all this time and I have not replaced it yet. I suppose it's because it doesn't always interfere. But last couple of days it has. Time for it to go bye bye!

James

NOISE IS BACK! ALL 40 CHANNELS - Suspect BUG ZAPPER

Sad but true. Hello all, I've been working massive hours at my job all summer so I have not had any time to get on the radio. As most of you all know, I had a really aweful interference buz coming through my radio speaker. A year ago, I suspected the neighbor woman's bug zapper that she kept on all summer & all last fall into the early winter before I saw that she had turned it off. I thought it was her underground supply power lines from the pole in the alley going to her house. But it's not. Many of you have read this entire thread. But if you havent, I suggest you do before replying. I thought it was something in my house, it was not. I have turned the radio on from time to time, but I always use the noise blanker & the ANL to lower the interference. I also have been using the squelch, so most of the time I have not heard the noise.

As I mentioned, I have not been on the radio much this summer, so I turned off the ANL & the NB, and the squelch. And lo & behold the damn noise is still there. A loud constant buzzing on all channels. After months of investigating, I thought I had solved the problem as the power company replaced her underground power supply box that feeds her house. What a fool I was to think I was free of this horrible AC hum.

Now I am back to square one. I believe it's the neighbors bug zapper. She has it on again. It's in her garage & I can see the purple glow through her garage window. She has had it on again all summer, but I never made an effort to see if the noise was still there. I also know that this EMI inteference is coming through my antenna and not my house mains. I have used an AM transistor radio with a telescopic antenna & nothing in my house but a dimmer switch makes noise.

When I point the AM radio antenna towards her garage which is only 20 or 30 foot from my shack, I can hear the interference. Does anyone know of any device that will filter this airborne broadband EMI from her zapper from coming through my antenna? I have an IMAX 2000 vertical. I also know that verticals will pick up the frequency waves from offending devices, especially a bug zapper. I have also heard that horizontal antennas like a beam will let the offending frequency pass through because of a beam's horizontal position.

I'm not ready to slap down $170.00 for a beam, just to see if the noise goes away. So I just wanted to know if anyone out here knows how I can filter this from coming through my antenna? I do not get along with this woman either, so I can't ask her to turn it off. Am I SCREWED? Please help if you can. I can't stand this noise. I'd move if I could, but that's not an option either. :headbang

J.

On a positive note:

You are about to experience colder weather in Zion, IL. The flying insect population will go down to nothing in less than a month. She will no longer need to keep it on for any reason whatsoever.

You can ask your neighbor to turn off the zapper; the zapper will just waste electricity for the next 5 months if kept on for no reason. The proximity of the zapper may be more than any filter may be able to clear in order to keep your radio noise free.

Since the zapper is throwing off spurious RF; you can even complain to her. But it would be more advisable to explain the interference it is creating for you. Just so long as your radio activities isn't making interference for her - either.

I have a neighbor that does some TIG/MIG welding in his garage every once in a while. Gets VERY noisy. But it isn't a constant thing. If it was, I would complain, as I have that right - too. His welding is also my interference. I have rights that the FCC protects as well . . .

I had a similar problem recently,lots of noise with a popping sound that grew louder then faded,on my export radio.

i turned off every device in the house,the noise gradually went down bit by bit,especially after the pc,monitor,keyboard and the switch mode psu it uses were turned off one by one.

but still had plenty of noise there with this popping signal every so many channels that rose from the noise at about s3 to s9 then gradually faded back to s3 every 30 seconds or so.

i even changed the psu for a linear type i had just bought but still the problem persisted,was driving me nuts,i made one fatal mistake,although i disconnected the switchmode supply from the radio and replaced it with a linear psu i had left it on standby turned on,i went to get a cigarette or if i'm being totally honest i went to build a spliff and while i was doing so i turned the manson switchmode psu off,

all of a sudden the noise on the radio disappeared,despite the fact the switchmode wasn't connected to anything it was still radiating noise,i repeated the experiment with my zetagi switchmode which i'd used for years,it didn't have the popping sound but radios on it had s1 off noise on some channels which i wrongly assumed was my computer which is nearly always on.

surprise surprise s1 off noise showed up on the export radio plugged into the linear psu.turned the zetagi back off,same as the manson,noise all disappeared.

suffice to say i now have only two psu's and both are linear types,infact both are palstar ps15 types and i get zero noise from either on my radios,just like the old days.i will never use a switchmode psu on a radio again.

might not be your problem cominatyalive but may be worth checking for as i know you tried a battery only,but if you didn't turn the switchmode off at the same time it may be the source.

Say,,,

Say Jazz,

No switch mode with a car battery, right? :) am I on the same page as you? or am I missing something? Let me know. Hey Robb, yes, the noise is gone again since it's been zero degrees here. I haven't checked to see if she turned it off yet though. I'll do it tonight. Let you guys know where I stand.

J.

"J.",
How new is your vehicle? The newer ones tend to have an electric fuel pump that is a nice noise maker. It can sound about like a 60cycle hum, or a switching power supply.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.