• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Crazy mobile antenna!

Do they have a 50 Ohm resistor built in to load them ? How does it perform given it is mainly loading coil and not much element ?

20210419_083227.jpg
I ran into the the driver of that rig at a Pilot truck stop somewhere in Kentucky. Snapped this quick picture of him, he was a little upset that I had laughed at his antenna set up, Then he went on a rant about how he was going to blow up planet Earth, it blocked his view or something like that? As soon as I finished fuelling up I got the heck out of there, that guy was a real Loony Tune!!! :whistle:

I wonder if those twigs attract more than radio signals ? I will leave it up to your imagination as to what that could be.

Well if someone would stop resurrecting long dead threads we would not have yet another Star Gun thread . :p :ROFLMAO: https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/perfect-example.89265/page-2#post-760275

The “bump” of a few came after this one got started. What, you don’t like reference material?

As with the OP, one sees a few thousand trucks every few days. He also knows the frustrations in making a big truck mobile install work.

“Reference Material” is sorta tongue-in-cheek. Ringing the dinner bell for previous contributors. OTOH, some of the braces and supporting Stargun pieces might jog a memory, somewhere, of effective use.

Stopping off at Bobs CB gives one a chance to look at some of those pieces. Visualizing how they might be used, is the challenge.

Running 7’ or 9’ miles whips off plastic mirror arm bolts keeps one mindful there might be something better by which to have greater overall stability in hard crosswinds.

Stargun is funny. Funny name and weird combinations.
But maybe (another universe?) there’s signal in all that noise; an adjustable brace and puck well-used. Rest of the antenna may be for beans.

Come on down to the Southwest sometime.
Seeing a pair of Predators laid over near-horizontal on a decrepit KW-900 doesn’t mean they’re bad antennas. And you’ll see it unendingly.

The parts grab-bag mistakes with SG is what makes them funny.

But someone might recall or have a pic of effective use.

It sure is for rainy days.

[QUOTE="Slowmover,

Come on down to the Southwest sometime.
Seeing a pair of Predators laid over near-horizontal on a decrepit KW-900 doesn’t mean they’re bad antennas. And you’ll see it unendingly.

.[/QUOTE]
Lol!! I forgot about it until you mentioned it, I've seen those Predators laying over like that.

Reactions: Slowmover
The Isotron 11 is a whole lot less obtrusive than the Stargun. Who'll try one on their car/truck and report back to the group? Wind rating is 85. Price is $79.95. (y)

View attachment 44204

The ongoing dilemma of

1). Not having the budget for a lay-down screwdriver to affix to the aluminum roof of my travel trailer; and,

2). An alternative to be able to quickly (relatively) assemble and disassemble a portable antenna where the ground space is restricted and space to store said antenna is primary;

3). Leads me on all sorts of goose chases. Aside from the manufacturer website one is hard-pressed to find good reviews of an Isotron.

— Twenty years of the Internet (and a longer span driving trucks on-off) I’ve not ever seen one or heard of one in use.

Not to say it hasn’t happened. Bad as are composite-body tractors word would get around fairly fast even if only in one region.

I’ve thrown money around re radio in excess of my relative ability. Made this a priority. Not sorry to have done so, but it has hurt in other ways.

“Maybe” it’s an O-K receive antenna (maybe). But there’s not enough information otherwise to make this an encouraging venture even for someone willing to experiment, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Anybody remember Skyhawk from Dickinson TX he use to have a 90s white truck with a big giant chrome W looking antenna on the truck. This is the only time I have seen that antenna. Someone might know which antenna I am talking about

The ongoing dilemma of

1). Not having the budget for a lay-down screwdriver to affix to the aluminum roof of my travel trailer; and,

2). An alternative to be able to quickly (relatively) assemble and disassemble a portable antenna where the ground space is restricted and space to store said antenna is primary;

3). Leads me on all sorts of goose chases. Aside from the manufacturer website one is hard-pressed to find good reviews of an Isotron.

— Twenty years of the Internet (and a longer span driving trucks on-off) I’ve not ever seen one or heard of one in use.

Not to say it hasn’t happened. Bad as are composite-body tractors word would get around fairly fast even if only in one region.

I’ve thrown money around re radio in excess of my relative ability. Made this a priority. Not sorry to have done so, but it has hurt in other ways.

“Maybe” it’s an O-K receive antenna (maybe). But there’s not enough information otherwise to make this an encouraging venture even for someone willing to experiment, IMO.

All duly noted. (y)
And I, too, have thrown money around in the name of the hobby in excess of my radio ability. Quite frankly, I’m surprised I haven’t owned an Isotron. :D Perhaps a report will be coming somewhere down the line after all. :p (Base use, not mobile). After I give the Tak-tenna another chance. :whistle:

Reactions: Slowmover
Seen this truck twice already. I parked next to it the other night and got some some pics to share here to see what you guys think!

Maybe this guy is on this forum since he's a radio guy and can give us more insight to his antenna.

This truck has another set of this same antenna on the other side so I assume it's a co- phased setup.

What I see is 2 equal length horizontal elements with loading coils with cap hats on each element. There is also a shortened vertical element with the same length cap hat on it. The ground radials at the end which are far to short to be really effective but at least they are mounted to a non-conductive mast and not on the hot side of the antenna like many of those so-called cheap ground plane radial kits. The antenna does has some serious looking mounting brackets which is good due to the weight and wind loading.

From what I see, this wouldn't be a very good local or running down the highway antenna due to the horizontal elements. Typically mobile antennas are vertical so this is the wrong polarization to be effective against other mobile antennas. But, that antennas vertical element may skew the signal in an angled V pattern creating some kind of dual polarization.

The 2 elements close together and being equal length don't seem to be effective at creating a "beam antenna" not to mention what the same antenna on the other side is going to effect one to the other.

However, this is one of the more fascinating mobile antennas I have seen in recent years!

View attachment 44161

View attachment 44161
I wonder if this alien antenna would out talk a
5 ft silverload?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated