• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cre 8900 Output seems low.

Mavrik

Feb 22, 2013
Milan, Mi
My output on my new cre 8900 is 2-16 watt dead key swinging 3-31 watts on AM.

Seems like it is about the wattage of one final not two. Would it be possible to transmit if one was bad?

well it uses dual irf520 finals if I recall correctly, that seems like a perfectly fine wattage number, maybe it could use a tune up, but 30 vs 40-45 watts is not noticeable anywhere but in your wee wee

well it uses dual irf520 finals if I recall correctly, that seems like a perfectly fine wattage number, maybe it could use a tune up, but 30 vs 40-45 watts is not noticeable anywhere but in your wee wee

I suppose you are right about it not really being that big of a difference. I think I was wrongly expecting more like 50 watts pep.

Those numbers are close to what I'm seeing on my 8900. Slap n amp behind it now and enjoy.

Well I am just getting back into the hobby after couple decades and there seems to be quite a large selection of equipment now. Do you have any recommendations for an amp mainly for SSB DXing from my new cre 8900 base station with a 70's era 1/2 wave Big Stick. Probably need a Sirio Gainmaster at least 10'+ higher too. Hopefully under $500 if possible. Thanks!!

30 watts AM sounds about right, 40-50 watts SSB.

They are not big AM swinging radios, especially from a low deadkey you won't see much swing.

Yes I guess I am getting about 40+ on SSB.

Never been one to take a screw driver to my radios but which one would I look for to tune the output on the cre 8900? Not sure I will get the courage up to start now on my best and most expensive radio yet but I am interested in learning. I did just successfully replace the final in my Grant XL so I am feeling a little more confident.

I'm not one to shy away from DIY, but from what I understand, to do a good job of tuning radios, you need some fairly expensive equipment. Yes you can turn some pots, but you have the potential to turn you're radio into a really bad sounding radio, or blow something up. Send it to a reputable shop (I, and many others on this forum, use DTB Radio) and they'll have it talking beautifully.

I'm not one to shy away from DIY, but from what I understand, to do a good job of tuning radios, you need some fairly expensive equipment. Yes you can turn some pots, but you have the potential to turn you're radio into a really bad sounding radio, or blow something up. Send it to a reputable shop (I, and many others on this forum, use DTB Radio) and they'll have it talking beautifully.

Thanks for the advise. You are right, I don't have a good way to test the audio and should probably send it to a trusted tech. I looked up DTB Radio and may give them a try.

Those numbers are close to what I'm seeing on my 8900. Slap n amp behind it now and enjoy.

It's got better numbers than 959 which is set at a legal 4 watts hi deadkey. The galaxy is Ralph Mouth(happy days) loud with the chrome and flash but the 8900 does so much more. Sounds like we need to vote in some people into the FCC to allow amps for 11 meters. I did "listen"
on 10 meters yesterday and was amazed at where all the contacts came from answering back to some guy in Panama City.

Last edited:
It's got better numbers than 959 which is set at a legal 4 watts hi deadkey. The galaxy is Ralph Mouth(happy days) loud with the chrome and flash but the 8900 does so much more. Sounds like we need to vote in some people into the FCC to allow amps for 11 meters. I did "listen"
on 10 meters yesterday and was amazed at where all the contacts came from answering back to some guy in Panama City.

The quality sound and features of the cre 8900 does appeal to me more than the sound and the bling of the hammer wars. Just hoping to make more contacts than I am able to now but atleast I have a good starting point.

Yesterday morning I was also "listening" to the DX on 27.385 from Ireland, England, Germany, Italy and Portugal and was drooling at their stations like 1SD277's who I listened to clearly for 30+min (see 1SD227 GIANCARLO).

My biggest problem is probably that my big stick is not taller than the 100' trees surrounding my house and I think I am a little scared at the thought of climbing one.

you dont need a amp

No need for a amp talking dx.i was shooting with germany yesterdat from my car with my at5555 at 30 watts and a p500 mag mount.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting, I haven't got one of mine to tune up higher on AM than SSB...seems strange to see those results. Maybe I missed something in the video.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.