• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

KDOTDG I'm with ya on the new design and all new features and I do like them a lot also that's why I still have an Anytone 5555 in my mobile but sometimes to find an old school design new in a box made in malaysia that no one has hacked up with through hole boards is a nice thing too. It's original design was not to be an AM monster is was designed to be a 10 meter talking SSB radio, and it does that very well. Recieve is excellent, none of that RCI white noise and adjecent channel rejection is very good, which is an issue with me, have a Cosco warehouse within a half mile of me and live 1and a half miles from the turnpike so trucks with tons of power can be a bother

I do like my CRE 8900. The only thing that I dislike is the noisy Rx stage and the CW sidetone issue (which is hopefully being fixed at this moment under warranty). If a radio has CW capability I will use it. The speaker on the current versions do not disconnect on transmit. It does this even though talk back is off in the menu. To me, it is very annoying and is also being fixed by Key CB.

If you are going to buy one, I would recommend ordering it from DTB and have him fix that issue. I have the schematics with the fix for the talk back issue somewhere, I was looking for it yesterday, but couldn't find it. I'll have to dig it back up. The CW sidetone delay FIX is supposed to be the same as the Anytone AT-5555, but have not confirmed that as of yet.

The transmit audio with stock mic is very nice on the CRE. Alinco is rumored to have designed this radio, Google: Alinco DR-135CB. Maxlog is rumored to be coming out (very soon) with their clone of the 8900 that will have a cheaper price tag. Also, Anytone is coming out with an 100 watt version. I've read that they have a new model called the Anytone AT-6666, but uncertain if this will be the 100 watt version or not. Anyhow, I am hoping this new version will address known bugs in the earlier offerings they have.

Last edited:
Im glad I haven't been able to buy one just yet for the bug issues of being fairly fresh on the market. I saw cbradiomag's update on the display issue and am glad Univercom or whoever stepped up to the plate to take care of the little issues.

Unlike the old salt Ham's I unfortunately don't know code so the CW part would be a later day bonus.

At any rate I figure I'm looking at about 3 & 1/2 bills to get one peak/tuned/converted. That sound about right?

Also,I've been thinking about buying a CRE-8900 replacement mic that The Mobile Radio Store sells under 10&12 meter radio accessories. It would come in handy if I decided to keep this radio a Few decades. I keep remembering my K40 Speech Processor mic of 30 years that finally quit.

I do like my CRE 8900. The only thing that I dislike is the noisy Rx stage and the CW sidetone issue (which is hopefully being fixed at this moment under warranty). If a radio has CW capability I will use it. The speaker on the current versions do not disconnect on transmit. It does this even though talk back is off in the menu. To me, it is very annoying and is also being fixed by Key CB.

If you are going to buy one, I would recommend ordering it from DTB and have him fix that issue. I have the schematics with the fix for the talk back issue somewhere, I was looking for it yesterday, but couldn't find it. I'll have to dig it back up. The CW sidetone delay FIX is supposed to be the same as the Anytone AT-5555, but have not confirmed that as of yet.

The transmit audio with stock mic is very nice on the CRE. Alinco is rumored to have designed this radio, Google: Alinco DR-135CB. Maxlog is rumored to be coming out (very soon) with their clone of the 8900 that will have a cheaper price tag. Also, Anytone is coming out with an 100 watt version. I've read that they have a new model called the Anytone AT-6666, but uncertain if this will be the 100 watt version or not. Anyhow, I am hoping this new version will address known bugs in the earlier offerings they have.

So what level do you have your mic set at?

Also,I've been thinking about buying a CRE-8900 replacement mic that The Mobile Radio Store sells under 10&12 meter radio accessories. It would come in handy if I decided to keep this radio a Few decades. I keep remembering my K40 Speech Processor mic of 30 years that finally quit.

Wish I had known you had one...just got rid of an original K40 SP mic...I would have sent it to ya gratis

Well, heck...I think even I could figure out the conversion :LOL:

Thinking about getting a mic element replacement cartridge even if it's for another brand mic. It ain't dead dead yet. I think the mic element F86'd and tried taking it apart. Bad idea. But all said,the K40 has nothing on my RF 2018 Xtreme echo mic. Love it! Makes my 959 walk the dog!

I think if a 5ft 8in blonde showed up at M42Dusters door showing her 38DD's he would find something wrong with them too, just my opinion.

So, are you suggesting that I keep quiet and not mention any known issues or bugs in the radios I own/owned?

Some of these new export arrivals are expensive and have known issues that might be of interest to potential buyers.

Issues that are trivial to you might be of concern to others.

I would!!! 5-8 is too tall...5-0 to 5-3 and 38DDs is a waste...:drool: nice but a waste...imho

I for one want to know about the "bugs" and if newer versions have resolved the issues! (y)

So, are you suggesting that I keep quiet and not mention any known issues or bugs in the radios I own/owned?

Some of these new export arrivals are expensive and have known issues that might be of interest to potential buyers.

Issues that are trivial to you might be of concern to others.

For radios you have owned and issues you have personally experenced of course not. It is admirable for you to take the time to do something like that.

But for your off the hook comments on EVERYTHING like you have been doing.....hell yes!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.