• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

Awesome. Maybe it's my mic. No matter where the gain is set. When I key up I hear a scratching sound in my external speaker. Hopefully the RK56 does well. Are you not liking the S45-HP? It took me awhile to get it how I want it. With my mic gain at 12 o'clock, rf power at 12 o'clock and me being a trucker....... Echo volume at 12 o'clock and echo delay at 1 to 1.5 on the dial that radio rocks. I have no problem talking 15-20 miles on 27.185 am with lots of traffic on the channel in the Dallas area. To another driver with a big connex.

I noticed a little feedback sort of issue with mine as well. It disappears when I hold the mic about 3" from my mouth.

I mentioned this in my email with Univercom in addition to the CW break-in issue I am having. They are on break until after the New Year. It's almost like the talk back circuit is still active, but it's turned off in the menu. I notice it while hooked to a dummy load as well.

I like my S45 very much. I just like the CRE better and want another one.

That's exactly what my CRE is doing. Still talkback even when talkback says off. If you find an answer please share with me. I may have the RK56 on it tonight. If that helps I will let you know. I really feel like its coming from that mic. I just can't want to like that little cheapy feeling mic. Lol

I just ordered my Yeticom Optima MKIII, with cranked up amc to optimal. It should be here Jan9th approx. I have to convert my Turner Plus Three to the eight pin Icom layout.

It seems I'll have to live with the hump floor mount as all other options have too many limitations.

Tucker 442, now that you have the Midland and the Optima how are they side by side?

My stock mic so far. You may be picking up background noise from your rig. The road devil might be what you need.

Unless your CRE is used as a base. I don't know why it sounds bad, unless your gain is to high, or you have a lemon mic.

I'm going to be switching to a RD myself. Even though the stock mic performs well, it's just to small and light for my big paws.

I just bought a new S45 recently. Think I'm going to sell it and get another 8900. I really do like this little unit. Can't wait to get the CW issue fixed.

Cbradiomagazine's advice was that it sounded pretty descent at 31 volume level but if you want loud,get a noise canceling mic.

I checked my mic and it was used for a Uniden 2510 and is a Five Pin. I need to convert it to an Icom Eight Pin for my new Yeticom optima. Has any one found and adapter or must it be hand wired?

I would just wire it up. Those adapters are for temporary use as far as I am concerned. They also put undue stress on the mic jack. The MKII's have a weaker jack that was strengthened on the latest version, I believe.

Plus, they look corny. Some are even wired wrong from the factory. If you have a radio with voltage on input, you could see smoke if not carefull.

Last edited:
Dave514 the Yeticom Optima is one of the best all around radios I have ever used and yes it is better than the Midland. Happy New Year my radio friends.

Attachments

• optima 3-2-12.jpg
    optima 3-2-12.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 78

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.