• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

I got my Road King 56 wired for the CRE yesterday. So far I'm really happy with it. The noise in the speaker with talkback off is gone. I can actually turn the talkback to 5 or 6 and hear it with no feedback. With the stock mic talkback on 1 would sometimes squeal. 2 was out of the question. A friend says i sound more like what he's used to hearing with this mic vs stock. I may eventually try another Road Devil on it per cbradiomagazine.com recommendations. Until then I think I'll be happy with this one.

Seeing red

Maybe get a 636L and a road devil and swap mic guts. I'd like to put a compressor circuit in my 959 and have a road devil in a 636l case. My K40 speech processor mic just died on me. Couldn't stand the red case either. {Cry_river}

I was at a fellow HAM's house earlier and spoke to my dad while he was at my QTH operating the 8900. The distance was 8 miles away.

I was completely amazed at the audio quality. Very natural with just the right amount of punch. I can honestly say that I have never heard any other stock CB or export with the audio quality of the 8900 on SSB. AM is good, but nothing special.

I still have the stock mic on it. I was thinking about trying a couple other mics, but why mess with it.

Thats funny you say that about the 8900 Duster, there is a guy about 25 miles north of me in NJ, I was talking to him about a week ago, nice clear audio not too basey or trebley, asked what he as using, he had an Optima with the HM-36 Icom mic. I was floored at how good it sounded. I guess the only other guys that sound better are using studio mics, some of the guys talking skip sound like a radio control room

I failed to mention that I've also heard my Optima. It sounds good, but not as good as the 8900. The difference is very noticeable and very much in favor of the 8900. I also use the HM-36 mic on the Optima.

I see why I have been getting immediate unsolicited reports from the locals when on the 8900. Crazy thing has great transmit audio on SSB.

Dave 514 I'm a big Turner Mic fan and own a lot of them but with the Optima having that elecret condenser mic I don't know if the Turner will sound better. The stock MKII mic did not perform well at all but the Icom HM-36 really woke that radio up big time. Let us know how you do with the Turner I do have a 8 to 4 pin adapter for the Optima if I want to try one. 73's

Right now I have 3 of them, how many does anybody really need. In my mobile today I have an Anytone5555 so I have one for a base and 2 collecting dust. I just want or try to share a good radio with other radio operators so they can see the real difference. If I sell one of them and the buyer really doesn't like it I will take it back knowing full well that it is a great radio and the buyer is not a real radio operator

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.