• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cross-band vs Locked-band Kenwood

kg6hqd

Dec 4, 2013
Corona, CA
The other day I was using the "Cross-band" mode on my TMD700 since I have a mono band HT radio. It became a problem when I switched my input and started using the same 2m input frequency that is used for the repeater that most have access to. The manual for the TMD700 does not explain either modes very well and it caused some issues. Some users asked if I was using "full cross band" or "half cross band." In short, Kenwood doesn't use that language in the manual, but in it's place uses "Cross-band" for full and "Locked-band" for half.

Here is a link I found that better explains the differences for the above modes for a Kenwood radio.

Cross Band Repeating

Maybe this will help others not not pull a lid move like me...again :blink:

Reactions: 1 person

The other day I was using the "Cross-band" mode on my TMD700 since I have a mono band HT radio. It became a problem when I switched my input and started using the same 2m input frequency that is used for the repeater that most have access to. The manual for the TMD700 does not explain either modes very well and it caused some issues. Some users asked if I was using "full cross band" or "half cross band." In short, Kenwood doesn't use that language in the manual, but in it's place uses "Cross-band" for full and "Locked-band" for half.

Here is a link I found that better explains the differences for the above modes for a Kenwood radio.

Cross Band Repeating

Maybe this will help others not not pull a lid move like me...again :blink:

the REAL problem was you were on the repeaters input,............. DUH!

who ever wrote the linked explanation doesn't have a clue. in that example, someone was inputing on UHF into an Xband rig and keying a VHF repeater, and instead of listening to the Xband rig on UHF, they were listening to the repeater directly on VHF,.............. why? it has nothing to do with long turn around times, no matter what, they still couldn't make the Kenwood UHF-VHF x band rig shift to x band transmit until the repeater dropped.

a repeater doesn't know or care if any brand of radio is in "crossband" or "locked band" mode,.......... the only thing a repeater knows is if there is, or is not, a (properly PLed) signal on the input freq.

Last edited:
the "input" i was trying to load was the 2m input to the 440 machine not the 440 input to the 440 machine...no kidding the repeater doesn't know or care if radio is in "crossband" or "locked band" but it was way for me to clear up a poorly written manual section provided by the radio...guess I didn't explain this properly...simply put, i couldn't use that input as my remote input since it's the same one we are all using to access the 440 machine we like to use..maybe that makes a little more sense??

if not, well then I'm just a stupid lid who deserves to be bashed...i made a mistake, but then again I really didn't ....guess you had to be there

It's all good dude, I made the same mistake on my v71a when I first got it. Hell, it took me 2 times to get it to work on my ts2000, which is worded almost the same as your rig where you had that issue. Shit happens and we all help each other.

the "input" i was trying to load was the 2m input to the 440 machine not the 440 input to the 440 machine...no kidding the repeater doesn't know or care if radio is in "crossband" or "locked band" but it was way for me to clear up a poorly written manual section provided by the radio...guess I didn't explain this properly...simply put, i couldn't use that input as my remote input since it's the same one we are all using to access the 440 machine we like to use..maybe that makes a little more sense??

if not, well then I'm just a stupid lid who deserves to be bashed...i made a mistake, but then again I really didn't ....guess you had to be there

SHit happens, I heard it. I could tell it was a crossband mistake. I don't know what your QTH is but I heard it very strong in Rancho.

Took me a minute to fully understand the crossband function of the TM-71.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.