1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious I wonder how many sales of Ham equipment goes for Out of band use.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Modifications' started by jdobbs2001, Mar 22, 2018.

1. ButtFuzz

ButtFuzz Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor

Most "ham" rigs, without a lot of trouble, just do not sound "good" on AM, IMHO.
    SSB is another story.

LeapFrog and w9cll like this.

2. jdobbs2001

jdobbs2001 Active Member

Bootlegging on Ham frequencies is dumb, I say get the ticket. I did not know people actually try to impersonate legit operators.. Stupid, just take the exam and get a callsign.

n8fgb likes this.
  3. jdobbs2001

jdobbs2001 Active Member

The IC-7300 sounds real good on AM, tight BW
    I have seen quite a bit of IC-7200 doing duty as marine HF radios. :) so its not just CB, I remember when I was stationed in Africa seeing locals sporting older ham equipment to use for local communications.

4. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

its fine to own a ham rig. but do not transmit on ham bands without a license. your just looking for big trouble

5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Africa......now there's a place that enforces communications laws. LOL :LOL::ROFLMAO::p

Road Squawker, w9cll and wavrider like this.
  6. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

i had a ham rig way before becoming a ham. you can learn a lot just by listing .to other hams. it made me want to become a ham.

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  7. BBB

BBB Well-Known Member

By all means get all mode/ all band Ham transceiver and just have fun with it. No better way to learn all those complex knobs, buttons, dials, connections, antennas and On-Air jargon/ lingo than to have it sitting in front of you. Study, get your ticket and join in.

On the flip side, I have noticed more and more Ham radio operators re-discovering CB radio. If the conversation is civil enough they break their silence. They are not hard to spot as they are usually very well spoken and have a clean "Hamish" lower modulated AM signal. I like to call them out and express that 11 meters is still alive and kicking. I re-enforce how nice and informal communications are on CB and how good it feels to "remember" all the comradery most had in their earlier years involving CB.

Now all they need to do is make up a new Handle and some DX numbers. How cool is that ? (y)

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  8. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Unit 997 on the the big snake 2000 flatside at 90 feet coming at ya break break break... I think I need a shower..lol

Slowmover, S&W357, codeman and 3 others like this.
  9. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

w9c11 just got down

CB590 and w9cll like this.
  10. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

667 from the Northwest corner, wall to wall and tree top tall...73's to ya, byyyyye…bye bye bye bye, BYE…beep…

CB590 and w9cll like this.
  11. Beetle

Beetle Sr. Member

What are you going to do with all those feathers?

L2 likes this.
  12. Yeti Communications Ltd

Yeti Communications Ltd Well-Known Member

its 2018 and I started selling transceivers in 1984 (under two different company names and privately )
    In 34 years of thousands of transceivers ,ham radio.cb radio,"exports" and commercial gear to radio ops a huge percentage were ham ops of the few thousand or so ham ops
    I can count about 10 that asked for ham radio bands ONLY as in no expansion at all to what they brought ...

So thats alot less than 0.01% of all hams that have brought ham gear off me that has ONLY wanted ham radio legal band coverage in their radio be it hf or vhf/uhf.

Pretty am sure that other dealers have the same experience.
    FYI only two cbers wanted legal 40 channel coverage in a export radio (even thou it was still multimode!) both were sold to the usa i think one of those guys is a member here

Some times you have a legal reason(as a ham) to have a transceiver expanded ..in my case my 2m/70cm and 6m transverters will not have full coverage on those bands in to the data/ssb sections of 2m/70cm/6m if I only had 28.000-29.700 mhz coverage in the driver radio

Slowmover likes this.
  13. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

every cber in my area all use ham gear. good for me little to no bleed over on my end. im thinking if they listen on the ham bands they will get their license. hopefully.

14. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

Simple solution for me was Bank A is Ham frequencies I hear usual daily action on, and Bank B is CB channels 1-40 and a few other freeband channels..

I like keeping it separate.

I got lucky on my endfed as with the tuner set to bypass my CB SWR is about 1-1:2 across..

PA770 hollering.. lol

15. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

i wish all cbers got a ham radio to talk on
    get them export splatter boxes off the air. it would solve many problems
    spurs for one and bleed over 20 channels each way. life would be grand