• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CURRENT AND PSST OWNERS OF THE PALOMAR 300a

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Before hooking up and using this 300a I was switching between several other amps. I was checking to see if any had issues. I have a few more to check but the 300a is so nice (for what it is) I'm having a hard time getting around to check others. Have you had problems with the external power supply or is it something that may out last the amp itself? I have a chance to purchase another non working 300a with s working power supply . The amp is beyond repair or atlest not wort repairing as I would have to send it out for repair. If the power supply is something that's not known to develop issues I may pass but if there known for developing problems I May purchase both pieces as the owner won't seperate them for the sale. Thanks

The "outside power supply" you mention is onlyu a transformer.

As long as your transformer is good it should last many years unless a filter cap goes bad, then it should blow a fuse.

Typical for most CB amps is if the fuse blows, put a bigger amperage rating and try again. This then may actually short out the secondary of the transformer.

Long story short, as long as you use the correct size amperage fuse in your "outside power supply" it should last you.

You have to be careful which external "power supply" you get since there are two different models of 300A's. The difference is in the power supply in the amp itself. One uses a full wave rectifier and the other model uses a doubler for the high voltage. If you get the incorrect external power supply there will be problems. The voltage for the doubler circuit will be lower then the one for the full wave rectifier. If the external power supply with the lower voltage (for a doubler) is used with the amp with the full wave rectifier the output will be lower because of lower plate voltage. If the external power supply with the higher voltage (full wave) is used with a doubler circuit in the amp, the filter capacitors in the amp will blow because of excessive voltage.
The external "power supplies" are not marked in any way telling what it is. The only way to tell is to measure the transformer voltage in the external "power supply" and then look at the power supply in the amp to determine if it's a a doubler or full wave circuit.

Alan

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.