• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-104 >< IC-2200H....?

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Kind of a silly question, but I was wondering if there was any possibility of making a D-104 work an IC-2200H.....?

The 2200 is my primary 2m base station radio, I next to never use the microphone control buttons, and thought it would be cool if I could put this old mic to some kind of use until I get an HF rig....

Now Icom does offer a microphone adapter, but it says it converts it to an 8 pin configuration, and this D-104 has a standard 4 pin plug. Besides this adapter costing 40 bucks, I'm not about to order something if there's a good chance it won't work......

Any thoughts.....????

Possibility? sure it can be done. You'll need to check if that mic is powered by the radio..check the pinouts in the manual. I have my doubts about whether it would sound any good, though.

Impedance might be an issue - to kick this question off and running.
The closer you can match the input impedance to the requirements of the radio, the best chance that you have to make it work for you with the greatest fidelity and response.
Getting a mic plug and knowing the pin-out would be the next logical question to answer.
You probably can do it; but since most of the communication on 2 meter is FM and SSB modes; maybe the D104 won't work out for you as you expect.
A better mic might be one that is suited to SSB, like the Turner +3 - as an estimated guess.

Maybe if you get a cheap/decent CB/Export radio and wire the D104 to it.
Then make a dipole to save $$$.
You would have added another band to operate with from your new Ham shack that would sound outstanding.
Just some thoughts...

Thanks Mole....

The stock Icom mic has full control features with a function light, so I'm assuming the radio does feed some source of power to it.

My other concern being this D-104 with the T-UG8 base is a pre-amplified microphone, and as such may not work well with the Icom's processor....

I didn't approach this one with any high hopes, but though someone may have played around with the concept and either figured a way to do it, or found it couldn't be done......

Rob....

I used to have a 10 meter radio, a President HR2510, but they don't make them anymore, and I haven't found one on eBay yet. Used to run that with a D-104, and it worked very well.
This time around I think I'll wait til I can afford a used HF rig so I don't limit myself to just 10m....unless I happen to fall into a really good deal on another HR2900....;)

Last edited:
Hell with the 40$ adapter.

Many Icoms use the same connector as an ethernet cable. I think the 2200 is the same.

Just buy an ethernet cable, clip one end off and wire it to the D104.

I doubt it'll be better than the stocker, but experimentation is fun.

Thanks 74IN, it is an ethernet connector, and from the looks of that graph, I would only need pins 4, 5, 6 & 7 to make it work....but it's 15° out, with a wind chill of -1°, and I need something to occupy my limited brain cells today. Besides I've got a bunch of unused ethernet cables laying around that I can cannablize for such a project......:D

All I will add to this is that in NO way do you EVER need a D104 or any other "power" microphone on an FM rig especially a 2m or 70cm radio.The FM deviation is set according to the supplied stock mic and you will sound like crap, loud yes, but still like crap if you use it on 2m. You can very easily overdeviate on the input of a repeater and that will make you sound like crap. Amateur radio and 2m especially is NO place for the "loud and proud" crowd. There is nothing more irratating then to have a round table on the repeater and have one guy much LOUDER than all the rest.

There's some simp within earshot with an echo mic on a 2m repeater.

Not much echo, just enough to be a lid.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.