1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

D&A phantom rework

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by bearcatfan78, Jan 23, 2010.

1. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

Wavrider, I appreciate your concern. I know how to work around high voltage, I have been an aircraft electrician on A-10's for 13 years, and worked various contracts for the army. I just am not that familiar with the tube amps, I have repaired a few, I own a few. I know it is not a direct replacement.

I figured the thread was here for a rework, I know it has been done before, on other D&A amps, and the dentron amps, and was looking to see if someone would share the info for the D&A.

2. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

I do not know, the website is still up though.

3. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Not meant to hi-jack your thread, but that Warthog is one hell of an aircraft.
    Kudos.

Jeff

4. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

Jeff, I love those aircraft, been over over the world working them. No worries, it was actually someone else's thread, i figured I'd try and get some more info added to it ya know?

Also, Kens is still opened, just called them.

5. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

EL509 spec sheet link
    TDSL Tube data [EL509]

KLV 1000 amplifier schematic
    http://www.rmitaly.com/download/manuals/KLV1000p-manual_rel_301.pdf

Should get you started.

I agree with Jeff that is a heck of a bird.

I have 23 years electronic technician experience working on A-7 Corsairs, S-3's, S-3E's, A-6's, E-2C's, F-14's, F-4's, H-2's, H-3's SH-60's, FA-18's, H-53's, P-3's, and the wonderful C-2"s.

Communications, Navigation, Identification and Weapons Guidance just a few of the major systems I had the fun to work on.

Good luck on your rebuild and look at the amperage draw of those 509's VS the 6LQ6's, you may want to copy the KLV-1000 unless you have one or more transformers laying around for the B+ amperage.

6. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

Navy man huh? Alot of nice aircraft there. I love the A-10. I have be electro-environmental, avionics most of my career, I am still in the air force now. I have done contract work for the lightning II targeting systems, work for the army on the trojan program, alot of C4ISR stuff. I have enjoyed my career thus far.

Thank you for the links, I have the KLV1000 schematics, I just repaired one for a friend of mine, and tossed in the same russian el509 tubes in it. Man that thing is working good now, lol.

I just found the link for the el509 specs right before I read your post, I also have the 6lq6 specs also. It has the peak cathode current for the 6lq6's as as 1200mA, and the el509's as 1500mA, the el509's are a bit higher in the plate currents too. I don't know the specs of the 3 transformers in the phantom, but I figured they used the same 3 transformers for 12 tubes, I am running 10. I may be alright, we'll see. I'll make a new schematic and post some pics after I get the rest of the new parts.

7. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

You could use some 811A's, voltage doubler circuit should make those old triodes work rather well.

A pair will give you a clean 300 watts, it would take 1.2Kw to make another S unit on receive end.

You all ready have the EL-509's though.

Yes Navy(y)

8. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

Well, I have all 10 sockets redone for the russian el509's the finals are now ceramic sockets. I don't really have an exact schematic for this model, but using the phantom triple stage, and the 500 dual power, They have what i need. I am making a new schematic for it with the el509 conversion. For now, there is no bias on the drivers, just like D&A had it when I got it. All the grids are still tied to ground. The finals, the control grid is running to the 2 meters on the front, one for high power, one for low. When you repin the sockets, you have to be sure to move those pins also. I have some new capacitors coming in for it.

This is a tube keying circuit, for now it will stay till I am sure it works. Then I would like to convert it to a transistor keying circuit.

9. liquidh8

liquidh8 Active Member

Just an update.

This build is still in the works. I let a friend use 5 of the el509's for his klv1000, 1.1kwPEP on SSB now.

Sooo, I am waiting on some more tubes. A few fans and caps. Once I get it running, and now everything is good to go, I would like to convert it to 2 driving 8 or even 10, I think the current is there from the three x formers. Anyhow, just tossing around possibilities. <More audio>

I have my Kenrich Eagle 515 that gives me 1-1.1Kw PEP with 35-40 watts PEP, I talk on SSB so no DK numbers sorry. So that is what I have been using.

But for those watching the thread, the socket wiring is all done, just waiting a few other parts :D