• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D104 mic wiring?

Red 5

Feb 28, 2015
I picked this mic up for 20 bucks. I'd like to try it on my president Washington, right connector, but it doesn't work. I took the grill off the top, and it looks like the element has some holes in it. Also the white and yellow wires at the base are not connected to anything. Thanks for any advice! Cheers!

Attachments

• 20150320_185326-1-picsay.jpg
    20150320_185326-1-picsay.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 23

More pictures

Attachments

• 20150320_183146-1-1-1.jpg
    20150320_183146-1-1-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20150320_183156-1.jpg
    20150320_183156-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20150320_190227-1.jpg
    20150320_190227-1.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 24
The mic element may be bad with the holes like that in them, does the radio key up when the mic is keyed up? If so might want to change that mic element out for a new one.

Reactions: Red 5
Here's a pic of the stock Tug-8 wiring. It looks like the original mic cord was replaced on yours and the the extra wires snipped or not connected. Stock cable is 3 wires( red, black, white) plus shield. The cable on your mic has a slightly different colored wires and I can't tell if the white wire on your mic is even soldered to a terminal. The link is for a replacement element kit that I've used on several D-104's and it sounds great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.rbmicro.com/index.php

Attachments

• Tug-8 wiring.jpg
    Tug-8 wiring.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Those mic elements will work with holes poked in them. That does not affect performance; except for a change in the mic's freq response that can be slightly altered by that sort of thing.

The mic element is a crystal elememt; and there are no OEM replacements anymore. But you can get a replacement crystal element with the same relative size and impedance online - if it proves to be at fault.

Best bet is to get the schematic for the TUG-8 stand @CB Tricks, and then you can make sure that it is wired correctly to the mic cord.
Needs a battery too . . .

Last edited:
Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. When I key the mic it does register, but no modulation. The white wire is not soldered to anything, and the yellow is snipped.
There was some cotton wadding around the element, what do you replace that with? Thanks again!

.... When I key the mic it does register, but no modulation. The white wire is not soldered to anything, and the yellow is snipped....

the white wire "should" be audio.
use EITHER the blue OR the yellow wire , depending on what type switch you have,
blue: electronic
yellow: mechanical

image.jpg image.jpg If the white wire is truly audio and it's snipped that could be why there is no audio when transmitting. Maybe look for a broken solder joint where that white wire might have went, pull it around to the different solder points, don't touch but look and see if maybe it broke off one of the solder points. Looks like the white wire needs to hook up to the first solder point to the left with the other white wire per the wiring diagram I posted. I could be wrong but it it's what it looks like. Hope this helps.

And to add the battery, red goes with the violet on the volume pot, and black goes to solder point 2 from the left. The 9vdc batt sits in the small holder. Just like RatsoW8's is connected.

You are right space cowboy, no batt, no modulation or amplification. Need a 9v batt. I think between the photo RatsoW8 posted and what I posted he can make it work. Time to break out the solder gun!!

It's says here the yellow wire is not used. Blue appears to be a common. I could be totally wrong here but it's what I have found for wiring diagrams and details for that mic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 7

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.