• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Daiwa CS201 switch looses my TX power..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
I bought a new 2 position Daiwa CS201 switch to switch between 2 CB rigs..

On my new AT6666 which always peaks at 40w on SSB for me I was getting just 25w with the same exact speech and level as I normally use.

Any reason why this would drop 15w or so?

I tried the other side output using same and AT 6666 and got the same result. Nothing changed in the equation..

I removed switch and back to 40w I went..

Thinking the Diamond switch made out of plastic may be better..

Thoughts..

Strange, The CS-201 is an EXCELLENT switch. I use a couple of them and even at VHF they perform very well. I suspect you are seeing a change in impedance due to inserting the cable that connects the switch to your radio. If your antenna is NOT a PERFECT match at 50 ohms then changing the cable length between the tradio and antenna ( like inserting a switch using a patch cord) it will cause an impedance change and that change can effect the power output as seen from your radio. Try inserting just the cable without the switch and see if you get a similar result.

Strange, The CS-201 is an EXCELLENT switch. I use a couple of them and even at VHF they perform very well. I suspect you are seeing a change in impedance due to inserting the cable that connects the switch to your radio. If your antenna is NOT a PERFECT match at 50 ohms then changing the cable length between the tradio and antenna ( like inserting a switch using a patch cord) it will cause an impedance change and that change can effect the power output as seen from your radio. Try inserting just the cable without the switch and see if you get a similar result.

I had swapped the cables around and nothing changed. I don't think 2' of brand new RG8X with soldered connections would knock off 15w.

I ordered in 2 and both tested fine with no shorts.

I ended up getting a refund already. Just thought I'd pose this question. Now no switch and still 2 rigs..

I had swapped the cables around and nothing changed. I don't think 2' of brand new RG8X with soldered connections would knock off 15w.

I ordered in 2 and both tested fine with no shorts.

I ended up getting a refund already. Just thought I'd pose this question. Now no switch and still 2 rigs..

While there may be something amiss with the switch, they are an excellent switch but things can happen on the assembly line.

Also, I have seen a couple feet of cable make a noticeable change in meter readings and apparent power output when the antenna impedance is not purely 50 ohms at the feedpoint. Having over 40 years in hobby radio with 22 years in commercial broadcasting I have seen a LOT of things that some people dismiss as fallacy or simply because they cannot understand it. Shorts have nothing to do with the changes. The cable acts as an impedance transformer.

Reactions: CB590

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated