• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dak 9 or 10 front case screws

brent stroud

Jan 21, 2019
Does anybody know where I can purchase the screws and washers for the dak radios? or what size they are ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh it’s the Front screws btw.

You can usually take any screw to any decent hardware store, and certainly a place like Fastenall, and they have Sizing Gauges which will identify any machine screw. Then, if those stores don't have that screw, you can go a place like McMaster Carr (.com), which sells every screw under the sun, and order them. I did this back when I used to refurbish D104's and the Bottom Plate screws on those things were a real oddball metric thing. Hardware store sized them for me and McMaster Carr sold them.

You can usually take any screw to any decent hardware store, and certainly a place like Fastenall, and they have Sizing Gauges which will identify any machine screw. Then, if those stores don't have that screw, you can go a place like McMaster Carr (.com), which sells every screw under the sun, and order them. I did this back when I used to refurbish D104's and the Bottom Plate screws on those things were a real oddball metric thing. Hardware store sized them for me and McMaster Carr sold them.
That's just it I don't have one for point of reference

Okay .... then you can try taking the radio to a Fastenall or similar and just start picking up screws and see what fits. Hopefully you'll get lucky. Once you find the screw diameter and thread size/pattern, you can accurately guess the length needed and pick the head type you want.

Okay .... then you can try taking the radio to a Fastenall or similar and just start picking up screws and see what fits. Hopefully you'll get lucky. Once you find the screw diameter and thread size/pattern, you can accurately guess the length needed and pick the head type you want.
According to my thread gauge, they are #8-36x1/2" Phillips flat head. I'm not positive they are original, but all 8 are in it, and they thread in and tighten up just fine. 36 threads per inch is an odd size, but that is what these are. There is also a decorative finishing washer under each one. These are for the front panel. I believe Lowes, Home Depot and other hardware stores may have the washers but probably not the screw as it is an odd thread size.

Last edited:
According to my thread gauge, they are #8-36x1/2" Phillips flat head. I'm not positive they are original, but all 8 are in it, and they thread in and tighten up just fine. 36 threads per inch is an odd size, but that is what these are. There is also a decorative finishing washer under each one. These are for the front panel. I believe Lowes, Home Depot and other hardware stores may have the washers but probably not the screw as it is an odd thread size.
awesome. thank you so much

The original screws were a standard #8-32, 32 threads per inch. The head was almost flat, with a countersunk beveled shoulder. Under each one was a dish-type washer called a "trim washer". This is standard rack-mount hardware.

It really was meant to look like the shipboard radio from the Queen Mary.

I thought that was the size they were supposed to be. Like I said, 36 threads per inch is an odd size, but that is what is in this radio. I suppose someone changed them out at one time.

Does anybody know where I can purchase the screws and washers for the dak radios? or what size they are ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh it’s the Front screws btw.
They gave you the size of the screws here. I usually go to our local True Value Hardware get what I need. I usually buy the stainless steel screws and washers but I like that look.

Good Luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.