• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dang rabbits - Coax repair

Rok55

May 19, 2017
I had not completed the antenna install and had to make an emergency trip out of state and let with my coax laying on the ground outside. Came back to find rabbits had chewed on a section.
IMG_1282.JPG

Obviously there is already some corrosion occurring. This section will end up in a vertical orientation along an exterior wall. I don't relish the idea of replacing the entire length so would welcome any suggestions on how to properly repair it.

Thanks in advance.

if the coax is still good you could buy some liquid tape and cover that area real good then after it drys wrap it with some silicon tape to help double the area from the weather. I did one like that years ago and it lasted forever. do not use regular electrical tape on it . be sure to use silicon tape. it will seal the area real good and the tape mashes into itself to seal. you can use that king of tape to seal a radiator hose on a car for a short distance. it seals real well. I use this tape on my coax connectors to weather proof them from weather.

I had not completed the antenna install and had to make an emergency trip out of state and let with my coax laying on the ground outside. Came back to find rabbits had chewed on a section.
View attachment 21495

Obviously there is already some corrosion occurring. This section will end up in a vertical orientation along an exterior wall. I don't relish the idea of replacing the entire length so would welcome any suggestions on how to properly repair it.

Thanks in advance.

Black Gorilla Tape will fix that of the dielectric wasn't bit through. That tape is TOUGH!

Reactions: Rok55
I would test the cable to make sure it is not shorted out thats the 1st step.
**** Definitely
if the coax is still good you could buy some liquid tape and cover that area real good then after it drys wrap it with some silicon tape to help double the area from the weather.
**** This was my initial thought ......... Will have to make a trip to town to buy some.

Rub some habanero sauce on your cable to keep the wabbits at bay
**** My delicate constitution precludes the use of Habanero, good idea though. LOL

Black Gorilla Tape will fix that of the dielectric wasn't bit through. That tape is TOUGH!
**** Never would have thought Gorilla tape would stand the weather, but I do have that on hand ........ Hmmm.

And invite this guy over to prevent future problems
**** I'm home now and have a full compliment of hunting tools.
**** I'll handle them pesky wabbits

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Coax seal.

Or 3m temflex 2155 rubber splicing tape. It reminds me of Coax Seal except it activates when you stretch it as you wrap.

You can see the Temflex on Dx Engineering's site.

Our Home Depot has ( had?) the Temflex also.

Reactions: Meglotron
... or, you could do it the right way. cut the coax, install PL 259's on both ends and use a barrel connector.

That's what I would do. It's possible the center dialectric was punctured creating a short.

Despite checking the coax and finding no fault and SWR holding at 1.1, as I have no way to discern how far moisture may have infiltrated up the coax, I think this is probably the best option. In fact, pulled out my PL259's to do just that and discovered they are too small for my RG8X.

Looking for recommendations on source for quality PL 259's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.