• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dark SS whip

it wont hurt a steel whip if you were to use plain ol' spray paint, matt black or black primer, as long as you don't cover the threads with paint.

now painting a fiberglass antenna with a rattle can is a different story, especially if you use white.
I learned the hard way that gloss white has titanium in it and I effectively made a gamma match out of my antenna.
Now I know to use the spray paint that is made for plastic outdoor furniture if I'm going to paint a fiberglass antenna.

Found some stuff at RadioCrap...PCB Etchant Solution. I removed the top and stuck the small whip in through the foil.

This is the Lil' Wilson after a 5 min dip.
4100a733-8f3f-4e30.jpg

I think it'll work full scale.

It took hurricane boredom to complete it. The bead on the end is the same brassy color. Got my little YanMar in the background for contrast.

The SS portion is a darker and duller finish. It isn't as noticeable flailing about when going down the road since it isn't shiny.

4100572d-702a-ffdb.jpg

Ended up at a 1.5-1 to a 1.7-1 across the band with out a spring. Not too bad.

You can also bead/media blast the antenna. I would use glass bead for a light gray finish and aluminum oxide for a darker gray. You can pickup a cheap Harbor Freight blaster for cheap.

I run around with a Francis Amazer and most people never even notice it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.