• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DAVE MADE AN/SSB TRANSMITTER

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I heard what was described as a Dave made transmitter. Ssb and AM.
I heard it on ssb and AM.
Do I want one?
No.
Can I get my hands on one, doubt it.
Sounds over the top hifi.
Does it sound nice?
Very very nice, but there's something about it that just doesn't sound right on 11 meters.
I can't accually put my finger on it.
It just might be the guy running it.
kinda thinks he's running a 1960's radio show.
Music, clips, playback and poor imitations of movie and television personalitys.
I guess I just don't get it but that doesn't stop me from being qiouious.
Any one have a picture of this big secret transmitter that the operater seems to want to keep closely guarded?
He'll tell you it's a dave made but doesn't, and insists on not going into details.
I'm sure some of you know, and may even have a picture of this Manhattan project/big boy/little boy top secret transmitter?
I suspect Captain kilowatt will have some information and will waigh in. The knowlagable radio master of wwdx (imo). There's plenty of you with ck's knowledge, and I'm just adding some levity.
Lay it on me.
Thanks to all the super human minds on this site.

I highly doubt there is such a thing in existence. I suspect the operator was bullshitting or possibly has no idea about the difference between an amplifier and a transmitter. Building a single channel or even VFO controlled AM transmitter is quite easy however an SSB rig is a little more difficult. Neither however is something that would be economical for someone like Davemade. Personally I'll believe it when I see it and not just a pix of it or someone word for it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I highly doubt there is such a thing in existence. I suspect the operator was bullshitting or possibly has no idea about the difference between an amplifier and a transmitter. Building a single channel or even VFO controlled AM transmitter is quite easy however an SSB rig is a little more difficult. Neither however is something that would be economical for someone like Davemade. Personally I'll believe it when I see it and not just a pix of it or someone word for it.

Don't know if they do ssb but I believe they cover 80 -10. A member here has one so maybe he'll share. I don't think you know anything about dave's professional background to say it's too difficult or not economical for him. He's not the typical guy you'd find building cb stuff.

Reactions: Crusher and dave457
Drainbamage thanks. Big time!
I don't want you to think I'm lazy.
I did search the web/yotube and i couldn't turn up anthing but some references and little more about them.
I knew one of you guy's would either know or have/find a picture but the video's more then I exspected, considering I doubt there's more than a dozy of these floating around.

lots of flashing LED's http://rfwatts.webs.com/

I don't know if the one drainbamage shared has ssb, but the one I've been hearing absolutely does. I actually heard it there first.
Then three days later heard the guy on AM.
The guys in Brown's Mill's N.J. (or there abouts). He goes by 148. When 38 lsb is open give a 2014826b in NJ a listen, and you'll hear what I'm hearing.
It sounds just as hifi on ssb then it does on AM. If
I didn't know which mode I was in It would be difficult to tell.
That's how impressive it souns on ssb.
Like I mentioned in my op, it's just the guy who's operating this particular one that's a bit, should I say different.
He doesn't seem like a bad guy but maybe someone who may have had aspirations of being a DJ on some kind of early morning 60's style radio show.
You know the one I'm talking of, slide whistles, off handed jokes,lots of quick silly audio samples, he does it all.
He really doesn't do whoever built the transmitter justice, and if you have to be in the builders inner circle to get one, this guy must be the black sheep of that circle.
I hope more of you get a chance to hear one. I'd like to get some feedback on how you perceive the audio. I will make a video of him on ssb am AM then post it.
Don't know if they do ssb but I believe they cover 80 -10. A member here has one so maybe he'll share. I don't think you know anything about dave's professional background to say it's too difficult or not economical for him. He's not the typical guy you'd find building cb stuff.

Last edited:
I swear to you that was my first thought.
This guy's running a yaesu with a $500 Mic and an eq, but after my initial search did find some snippets of information on a dave made transmitter.
It also doesn't sound like an hf with a high end mic and an eq.
It sounds very different. It's difficult for me to exsplan because I'm not an audiophyle.
It's difficult to convay a certain type of audio when your not educated on the proper way to express what it sounds like.
There's no doubt I'll hear this transmitter again and will record and post it.

So Dave's not just another guy copying Daves designs?o_O

;)

PS: I heard he was working on something SDR related a while ago, is that what this is? And where would one find more info?

I don't know where you would find more info. Unless you know him or someone who does you won't find much.

Reactions: BBB
I don't know if the one drainbamage shared has ssb, but the one I've been hearing absolutely does. I actually heard it there first.
Then three days later heard the guy on AM.
The guys in Brown's Mill's N.J. (or there abouts). He goes by 148. When 38 lsb is open give a 2014826b in NJ a listen, and you'll hear what I'm hearing.
It sounds just as hifi on ssb then it does on AM. If
I didn't know which mode I was in It would be difficult to tell.
That's how impressive it souns on ssb.
Like I mentioned in my op, it's just the guy who's operating this particular one that's a bit, should I say different.
He doesn't seem like a bad guy but maybe someone who may have had aspirations of being a DJ on some kind of early morning 60's style radio show.
You know the one I'm talking of, slide whistles, off handed jokes,lots of quick silly audio samples, he does it all.
He really doesn't do whoever built the transmitter justice, and if you have to be in the builders inner circle to get one, this guy must be the black sheep of that circle.
I hope more of you get a chance to hear one. I'd like to get some feedback on how you perceive the audio. I will make a video of him on ssb am AM then post it.

You can wideband SSB like you can AM and you don't have to spend alot to do either. The problem is the wider the bandwidth the more of the spectrum you take up I inject audio into the balanced modulator of my kenwood and use the same audio gear I use on 11 meters. The kenwoods crystal filters still limit the high frequencies so I'm not taking up too much bandwidth on the HF bands. The 11 meter radio is wide open and will pass upwards of around 20k...if I inject a 20k tone on ch 30 and monitor with another radio there is what looks to be a carrier on 32 and 28. No filters. The audio is injected straight to the collectors of the final and driver. Mic preamp, eq, compression and peak limiting (mod limiter) is done with external equipment.

Well when someone says about building a transmitter I think nuts and bolts not bits and bytes. If it is SDR then that is a difference story altogether. There are some versions out there I believe that may be open source. All you need is some RF amplification following it and if you use a separate receiver then things become very much easier to do. IIRC the early Flex radio systems had a version that could be unlocked to operate on CB. If that is something similar to what he is doing then most of the work has already been done and all he needs is a box to house it in along with an amp. A real nuts and bolts version is what I was talking being uneconomical on such a small demand scale unless the price was exorbitant.

My curiosity has been quenched.
I'm sure someone will eventually post some specifics on this
"Dave Made" transmitter. And 148 did tell me he was using a reciver but was all mysteriosso. I knew he wasn't willing to give details so after the second question, I stopped asking.
Well when someone says about building a transmitter I think nuts and bolts not bits and bytes. If it is SDR then that is a difference story altogether. There are some versions out there I believe that may be open source. All you need is some RF amplification following it and if you use a separate receiver then things become very much easier to do. IIRC the early Flex radio systems had a version that could be unlocked to operate on CB. If that is something similar to what he is doing then most of the work has already been done and all he needs is a box to house it in along with an amp. A real nuts and bolts version is what I was talking being uneconomical on such a small demand scale unless the price was exorbitant.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.