• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DAVE MADE AN/SSB TRANSMITTER

No need for MMM or DM stuff to get HiFi AM or ESSB. Just get a used Yaesu FT-1000MP, set the audio wide-banded in the menus and enable the EDSP. Then add a good mic, a tiny touch of reverb, some compression, and run the carrier at 10 watts in AM mode into a quality amp (I use a desk mic that has reverb and compression built in) As a sonic bonus, no ALC is enabled from the factory on this unit in AM mode so it sounds so right. They knew what they were doing :whistle::whistle:;)

Reactions: LeapFrog
TThat's funny. I couldn't remember the specific radio program I wanted to compair the way 148 runs his station, and that's it. Dr. Dimento. With a twist of the uncle Floyd show. Remember Floyd lavinnieo?

I know of him by reputation ONLY. I grew up in NC, so I heard Dr. Demento's syndicated stuff in the '70's. When I went to work in radio (early '90's) I learned of Floyd and his work.

Well when someone says about building a transmitter I think nuts and bolts not bits and bytes. If it is SDR then that is a difference story altogether. There are some versions out there I believe that may be open source. All you need is some RF amplification following it and if you use a separate receiver then things become very much easier to do. IIRC the early Flex radio systems had a version that could be unlocked to operate on CB. If that is something similar to what he is doing then most of the work has already been done and all he needs is a box to house it in along with an amp. A real nuts and bolts version is what I was talking being uneconomical on such a small demand scale unless the price was exorbitant.

The photos I saw of the prototype were about as nuts and bolts as you could get. Looked like a gallon bucket of components soldered together in organized madness. I couldn't set down and copy it if my life depended on it. At one time I wanted one but now I'd rather modify something to suit my needs. I'd rather work on the equipment than talk on it.

I think the reason they are done on such small scale is because it's a hobby. I like to build things because operating an appliance is boring. Occasionally I'll do some radio work for a friend for the price of parts and a 6 pack but I can't imagine the headache of CB as a business.

The photos I saw of the prototype were about as nuts and bolts as you could get. Looked like a gallon bucket of components soldered together in organized madness. I couldn't set down and copy it if my life depended on it. At one time I wanted one but now I'd rather modify something to suit my needs. I'd rather work on the equipment than talk on it.

I think the reason they are done on such small scale is because it's a hobby. I like to build things because operating an appliance is boring. Occasionally I'll do some radio work for a friend for the price of parts and a 6 pack but I can't imagine the headache of CB as a business.

After doing a little more digging it appears the Dave Made "transmitter" is indeed SDR which IMHO can hardly be called building a transmitter. As for actually building things versus appliance operating, both have their advantages. There is nothing wrong with a new commercial rig as long as you know how to operate it beyond simply turning it on and off. I like to build my own accessories to suit my wants and needs. I use some old gear as well as new stuff. The Heath DX-60 keeps me looking at ways to improve the audio from it and I have built a PTT circuit for it instead of using the knob on the front to switch to TX. The switch burned up long ago. My Kenwood TS-820S needs TLC now and then. I have a big amp project in my sights and have modded lots of gear over the years including modding an old Palomar 10/11m amp to 6m and a Mirage B-108 2m amp to 6m just because I had them and at the time my Ten-Tec 1206 6m transverter I bought as a kit needed more power. I like building and repairing stuff when I have the time. I worked in the commercial broadcasting as a station engineer and did service work. I hated to do anything after work during that time period but now, 10 years after leaving the business I enjoy the smell of solder smoke in the mornings once again. :D

Reactions: wavrider
Then three days later heard the guy on AM.
The guys in Brown's Mill's N.J. (or there abouts). He goes by 148. When 38 lsb is open give a 2014826b in NJ a listen, and you'll hear what I'm hearing.
It sounds just as hifi on ssb then it does on AM.

We had great ground wave conditions last night from PA into NJ and I spoke with 148 for awhile on AM. He took some requests. Several NJ operators were asking lots of questions about his radio equipment. I didn't bother with any questions because I know he's got it going on. Since I was on my FT-1000MP with a large JBL Studio Monitor, he sounded really good. He ran a bit of a gate and I got to hear my HiFi AM signal. Pretty cool and I hope others jump on the HiFi bandwagon. Sparky 775 out.

After doing a little more digging it appears the Dave Made "transmitter" is indeed SDR which IMHO can hardly be called building a transmitter. As for actually building things versus appliance operating, both have their advantages. There is nothing wrong with a new commercial rig as long as you know how to operate it beyond simply turning it on and off. I like to build my own accessories to suit my wants and needs. I use some old gear as well as new stuff. The Heath DX-60 keeps me looking at ways to improve the audio from it and I have built a PTT circuit for it instead of using the knob on the front to switch to TX. The switch burned up long ago. My Kenwood TS-820S needs TLC now and then. I have a big amp project in my sights and have modded lots of gear over the years including modding an old Palomar 10/11m amp to 6m and a Mirage B-108 2m amp to 6m just because I had them and at the time my Ten-Tec 1206 6m transverter I bought as a kit needed more power. I like building and repairing stuff when I have the time. I worked in the commercial broadcasting as a station engineer and did service work. I hated to do anything after work during that time period but now, 10 years after leaving the business I enjoy the smell of solder smoke in the mornings once again. :D

What do you want to know? It is whatever the buyer wants it to be.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
What do you want to know? It is whatever the buyer wants it to be.

I don't want to know anything about it. In fact I could actually care less other than defining what someone calls actually building a transmitter or anything else. There is CONSIDERABLE difference between building an SDR with a couple stages of amplification and uses an unmodulated CB radio as an exciter versus building a real radio transmitter or transceiver. That's all I am talking about.

I don't want to know anything about it. In fact I could actually care less other than defining what someone calls actually building a transmitter or anything else. There is CONSIDERABLE difference between building an SDR with a couple stages of amplification and uses an unmodulated CB radio as an exciter versus building a real radio transmitter or transceiver. That's all I am talking about.

So if a person (with the right professional background) were to write their own sdr program and implement it into a transmitter they built would you feel differently? I'm not saying what it is or isn't, but don't underestimate someone's ability because all you know about him is he built some class C amplifiers, ignored the spec sheet and ran them on 20 volts.

So if a person (with the right professional background) were to write their own sdr program and implement it into a transmitter they built would you feel differently? I'm not saying what it is or isn't, but don't underestimate someone's ability because all you know about him is he built some class C amplifiers, ignored the spec sheet and ran them on 20 volts.

I am not underestimating anyone's ability. I am questioning the definition of "building a transmitter". IF someone were to write their own sdr program and implement it into a transmitter they built themselves then yes it is a little different HOWEVER by all accounts of everything I have been able to find online this NOT the case with a "Dave Made transmitter". According to what I have found out it requires an unmodulated carrier of a few watts injected from a CB or other transmitter to generate the operating frequency. Audio is injected and processed before being applied to the unmodulated carrier and then fed to a stage or two of amplification. It is in essence an audio processor far more than it is a transmitter.

Reactions: DainBramage
I am not underestimating anyone's ability. I am questioning the definition of "building a transmitter". IF someone were to write their own sdr program and implement it into a transmitter they built themselves then yes it is a little different HOWEVER by all accounts of everything I have been able to find online this NOT the case with a "Dave Made transmitter". According to what I have found out it requires an unmodulated carrier of a few watts injected from a CB or other transmitter to generate the operating frequency. Audio is injected and processed before being applied to the unmodulated carrier and then fed to a stage or two of amplification. It is in essence an audio processor far more than it is a transmitter.
Wrong

What you have found is something similar to motor mouth maul's mauldulator or the hifi stuff ghetto way driver (GWD labs) is working on. Nothing wrong with either product but they are not the same.

What you have found is something similar to motor mouth maul's mauldulator or the hifi stuff ghetto way driver (GWD labs) is working on. Nothing wrong with either product but they are not the same.

Well again like I said, according to anything I have found. Instead of you and Mustang 131 (obvious Dave Made fan) simply telling me I am wrong why don't you guys show me what is right. Offer up some info on what this is all about. All I am looking for is what the hell this thing is and if it really is a TRANSMITTER or not.

131 owns an HF transmitter that dave built and I do not. It is a wideband linear modulated transmitter that does not have a receiver. It does not require a PC or CB radio to function. That's about all the info you will find on this product unless 131 will give some specifics to you after you said you didn't care.

I don't want to know anything about it. In fact I could actually care less other than defining what someone calls actually building a transmitter or anything else.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned