• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Davemade groundplane / birdcage antenna

Does this mean I sent you the dimensions and details for this model? My model is dated 6/9/19.

Now we're on the same page Homer, and have something to look at.

What do these 2 models tell us about the Bird Cage antenna?

Last edited:
I suppose the obvious is the horizontal radials show more gain, but the upward slanted radials suppress the near vertical radiation.
I have to wonder what a longer vertical would do... perhaps add gain and slightly reposition the out of phase lower radiation more within the cone.
I think a ring around the top of the radials will contribute also by possibly causing the upturned radials to appear longer to RF.
Maybe...

All of these characteristics are already present on the birdcage antenna.
We have examined the V4k extensively. The idea behind my question with this model was whether upturned radials that were isolated from the vertical would contain the out of phase lower radiation and contribute to improved gain on a traditional 5/8.
I think it will but only when we lengthen the vertical. On the 5/8 upturned radials leave only 3/8 wavelength vertical above the cone.
It can be seen that the vertical radiation is redirected in a more favorable direction. Now it's time to tune it up.

Last edited:
Here is the Bird Cage model with 8 radials. The model is now showing capacitance at the feed point, so it should take a small inductor stub if I can get it to work.

I have not tried to tune it yet. The stub is next and if it works as intended, then I will try matching.

Anybody have an idea for the stub dimensions. I can only guess it might need to be a 1/4 wavelength.

Attachments

• Bird Cage with 8 radials no stub.pdf
    503.7 KB · Views: 7

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated