• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dayton Hamvention 2011

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Who's going? Let's hear some thoughts and posts on what you saw, what you liked, and what you would like to see next year. Let's also see some pictures or video! Any news that you heard that you'd like to report? Let's hear it!

I am having Hamvention Withdrawal. I resided in Dayton since 1967, off and on, mostly on, other than when the AF had other ideas for my services. I have been a member (still am) of DARA, sponsor of Hamvention, for 20 plus years, worked Hamvention Talk-In for quite a few years, have all of the t-shirts and buttons. But a year ago last week, just before Hamvention started I moved, lock stock and barrell to Florida. My thoughts are with you that are fortunate enough to be there this week and wish I were there as well. 73
Ray (formerly KB8TPW) W8VLG(y)

I had a great time. Weather was perfect. Came home with a tan.

I attended contest university on Thursday. About 220 people in attendance. The event was very professional and info packed. I particularly found Ed Munz - P49X, RTTY presentations worth the trip. Frank Donovan, W3LPL gave a very good presentation about solar cycle 24 and contesting. He gave an hour by hour account of how to use propagation to your advantage. I think perhaps his most important piece of advise is to work the Maximum Usable Frequency (MUF) on Saturday and always assume that the bands will be worse on Sunday.

Bob Sherwood (Sherwood Engineering), closed the seminar with a review of contest radio performance. He presented his results of dynamic range receiver testing of the radios that many of us use for contesting. This was a very interesting presentation. Quote "look for a 2khz dynamic range of 80db or better".

The Hamvention seemed to be well attended and Flea Market was larger than last year. No new radios from Icom, Kenwood, or Yeasu. As others have mentioned on this forum the new Elecraft KX3 is an interesting rig. Designed to be a QRP or base/mobile rig with the 100 watt power amplifier. Base model is expected to be less than $800 with many ala carte items (key, roofing filters, tuner, etc). The two KX3's at Hamvention were prototypes. Elecraft said they should be shipping by the fall.

I attended the APRS and DX forums. Bob Burininga, WB4APR, chaired the APRS forum with the folks from AvMap, Byonics, www.ARPS.fi and others showing their products.

Geoff Howard, W0CG, club gave a presentation of what it takes to keep the PJ2T club station on the air in Curacao. The salt destroys everything in a matter of a couple of years. He showed photos of 2 year old computers with salt encrusted mother boards, rust holes in tower section and rigging. He said for every hour the station is on the air, they put in 9 hours of maintenance.

I made a few purchases at Dayton. I bought a Begali Key (Sculpture), and AvMap Geo6, and a Kenwood TM-D710a, and the new "Flex-Knob" for my Flex-5000.

As everyone heard by now a "fountain of poop" erupted in the Flea Market on Saturday. The sewer backed up. It highlights the sad state of repair of Hara arena.

I'll go back next year and attend Contest University again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.